Skip to main content

Dear Adelai | 7 Months|: By Small and Simple Things


Dear Adelai,
Hello, 7 months! Over the past few weeks I have really been focusing on consistency with you, most especially with your sleep routines. You aren't a newborn babe who can sleep in anyone's arms or in any situation.  We honed in on your bedtime routine this past month and made a point to get you into the bathtub at the same time every evening, going earlier if you showed the obvious signs of sleepiness. We then followed our routine, ending with you being very sleepy and able to drift off to sleep easily, if not already asleep from nursing. This consistency and the results that followed, reaffirmed in my mind the importance of doing small and simple ordinary things. Getting you into the bath at the same time every night may not seem like a big deal, but the consistency has helped teach you about bedtime. We have seen great improvements with your nighttime sleep, though I chuckle as I edit this because we've had some rough nights recently and naps have been a challenge. I guess this means I am mortal.


Adelai, it is the small and simple and seemingly ordinary habits in your life that will produce the extraordinary results you will desire. When I was in college, it was important to me to find a strong and special man that would become my husband. I knew I couldn't force the situation, but I also knew that I would need to put in consistent effort during my four years in school. I did not know if my efforts would be fruitful, but I trusted in God and gave it my all. During the 2.5 years before I met your dad, I dated regularly by accepting dates from all guys even those who didn't seem "my type." I asked guys out when I wasn't being asked out. I made sure I was living in a manner that would attract the kind of guy I wanted to marry. But most importantly, I prayed every single night that I would date the right guys that would lead me to find a spouse. Not one of these actions was earth bending or magnificent, but each action, combined with the others, produced a magnificent result.


The small and simple things you do each day to better yourself will combine to form a great woman. These habits will keep you rooted in the right place, especially when the winds of trial blow in your face. 


Your dad and I firmly believe this, which is why we have already started to read scriptures with you everyday, even if it is only one scripture each night. It is why I tell you that "it's prayer time" when a prayer is said at church or at home and I gently fold your arms to teach you what is to be done during a prayer. No, you don't seem to always care to be quiet during a prayer, nor does it seem to matter to you to keep your arms folded, but I hope that by teaching you from a young age, prayer will always be a part of your life. 

When I was a girl, I grew up near the giant Redwood trees of the Pacific Coast. I marveled at the size and age of these trees. Amazingly, they grow from the tiniest of seeds, bit by bit, until they are over 250 feet tall.  They don't grow this tall overnight. One reason they grow so tall is because of the coastal fog that provides moisture to these trees on a continual basis. Consistency is key.


Your Great-Grandma Carolyn and Great Grandma and Grandpa Whipple
California, November 2000

Source

My sweet girl, focus on the small and simple things in your life that will have a lasting impact. Don't underestimate the impact a genuine smile can have on someone else. Remember that in your schoolwork, it is easier to study a little bit each day than to cram the night before a test. When you feel like you aren't measuring up, remember every small good thing you did that day and know that you have done something, because habits aren't created overnight. 

If nothing else, remember these inspiring words: 
Be not weary in well doing, for ye are laying the foundation of a great work. And out of small things proceedeth that which is great. (Source)
I love you, sweet girl.
Mom



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hoping for a Rainbow

I'm really not sure if I ever thought this day would come. The day that I made it past 13 weeks pregnant without losing the baby. #miracle.  I know I am not out of the woods yet, and honestly, when are we really? I am just trying to live every day with gratitude for the life inside of me, living with hope for the future.  Part of me wanted to wait until next week, when I was past 14 weeks and officially in the 2nd trimester, but I couldn't wait any longer. I've been getting a little thick in the middle, which is getting more difficult to hide, and I feel like I haven't been able to be completely honest with friends when they would ask, "how are you doing?" All I wanted to talk about was how nauseous I was or how nervous I felt. So now, the news is out, whether or not you already suspected something was up.  Seriously though, the 1st trimester is not for the faint of heart! There were many instances when I thought I would lose the baby, but dee

I'm Pregnant! .....

...or so I thought. And you did too. Happy April Fools Day! I had been having baby dreams and feeling nauseous on and off during spring break, and I knew I would test immediately when I returned home from our road trip. The test was barely visible and I didn't believe it, so I said nothing to Marshall. That night I had a dream where the next pregnancy test I took was a solid double line. Well, two days after the first test, I got my obvious positive. I was so excited. Not knowing if it would be a good pregnancy or not, I tested again two days later and the line was darker, so I felt confident.  The past two pregnancies I miscarried at approximately 6 or 7 weeks both times, so I was pretty nervous about this one. What if it happened again? Would I be strong enough? Knowing that I needed extra strength and prayers, I asked roughly 40 of our family and closest friends to fast and pray with us on Easter Sunday. That Sunday I was on the top of the world. I felt so strong an

Grandpa is Always Right | Gender Reveal |

I was hanging out in our rental apartment in Salzburg, Austria with my sister when my dad walked out of his bedroom and announced that I was having a girl. I was only 11 weeks along at that point and while I was wishfully hoping for a girl, I was preparing myself for a boy. His strong conviction of the gender of our child without any hints from an ultrasound surprised me. My dad seems to always be right about things, so I secretly hoped he was right this time too. Today during my scan, my favorite sonographer announced that we were having a girl. Grandpa is always right. I never imagined our family starting with a baby boy. I don't know why, but a baby girl seems to fit just perfectly. Now I just have to keep calm and stay healthy for 19 more weeks.