Skip to main content

A Good Luck Charm: Putting Family First



When my husband mentioned that he wanted to run the Army 10-Miler in Washington, DC a few months ago, my immediate thought was, "Well then I want to go with you." Truth be told, I didn't expect him to actually make the team or be healthy enough to run because just four months ago his knees were in pretty bad shape and he couldn't even run a mile without terrible pain. So I just let him do his thing and waited.

Flash forward to the beginning of the semester. He tried out for KU's ROTC team and made it. So I bought a plane ticket for Adelai and me to join him on the East Coast in October. 

With the CG of ROTC

We've been focusing on the important things in our family, and spending $330 for a ticket for me to fly over and spend 48 hours in DC was worth the expense. I wanted Adelai to be there for her daddy when he participated in a big event, and I wanted my husband to know that I supported him. What I really wanted was for this to be a family endeavor. I wanted it to be OUR memory, not just his. 

On the morning of the race, October 8, 2017, I received a text from Marshall with a picture of a baby sock. The text read, "Look what I found in my pocket!"  I had wondered where that sock went! This was the first baby sock I had lost and I was just waiting for it to show up in a piece of clothing (darn you, static cling). Sure enough, it chose to hide inside of the pocket of Marshall's running shorts. 


Instead of throwing the sock away or shoving it into his gear bag, Marshall chose to run with it in his pocket as a good-luck charm. I think it worked marvelously. 

It was a hot and humid October morning on race day. So hot that after 2 hours of run time, the race course was shortened by a mile. So hot that 87 runners were sent to medical tents and 39 were taken to the hospital. But Marshall ran the fastest out of all of his team members and he finished within 3 minutes of his goal time, a proud accomplishment for someone who never ran the course, let alone race 10 miles. 

Marshall's Results:
Time: 1:13:24
Place: 862nd overall out of 35744 runners
Team Place: 23rd out of 103 teams

Mile 3.5. Marshall is the second guy on the left in the blue Jayhawk shirt.

Adelai, my brother, and I enjoyed cheering Marshall on at mile 3.5. We wanted to get to the finish line in time to cheer him through, but security getting into the pentagon area resulted in a long line and we didn't make it in time. However, the energy, camaraderie, and good sportsmanship was so tangible and electrifying that it was just exhilarating being in the race day crowds. 

Empty race course, just waiting for the runners to come!

Thoroughly enjoying a dried mango slice from Uncle Nate



I loved having my older brother who currently attends Yale, make the long drive down to spend the weekend with us and support Marshall. The best part of the day was when I handed Adelai over to Marshall after the race and watching her face light up with pure joy. She loves her daddy so much.

She may not remember this event when she is older, but we will always remember the feeling of love and support that comes from putting family first. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hoping for a Rainbow

I'm really not sure if I ever thought this day would come. The day that I made it past 13 weeks pregnant without losing the baby. #miracle.  I know I am not out of the woods yet, and honestly, when are we really? I am just trying to live every day with gratitude for the life inside of me, living with hope for the future.  Part of me wanted to wait until next week, when I was past 14 weeks and officially in the 2nd trimester, but I couldn't wait any longer. I've been getting a little thick in the middle, which is getting more difficult to hide, and I feel like I haven't been able to be completely honest with friends when they would ask, "how are you doing?" All I wanted to talk about was how nauseous I was or how nervous I felt. So now, the news is out, whether or not you already suspected something was up.  Seriously though, the 1st trimester is not for the faint of heart! There were many instances when I thought I would lose the baby, but dee

I'm Pregnant! .....

...or so I thought. And you did too. Happy April Fools Day! I had been having baby dreams and feeling nauseous on and off during spring break, and I knew I would test immediately when I returned home from our road trip. The test was barely visible and I didn't believe it, so I said nothing to Marshall. That night I had a dream where the next pregnancy test I took was a solid double line. Well, two days after the first test, I got my obvious positive. I was so excited. Not knowing if it would be a good pregnancy or not, I tested again two days later and the line was darker, so I felt confident.  The past two pregnancies I miscarried at approximately 6 or 7 weeks both times, so I was pretty nervous about this one. What if it happened again? Would I be strong enough? Knowing that I needed extra strength and prayers, I asked roughly 40 of our family and closest friends to fast and pray with us on Easter Sunday. That Sunday I was on the top of the world. I felt so strong an

Grandpa is Always Right | Gender Reveal |

I was hanging out in our rental apartment in Salzburg, Austria with my sister when my dad walked out of his bedroom and announced that I was having a girl. I was only 11 weeks along at that point and while I was wishfully hoping for a girl, I was preparing myself for a boy. His strong conviction of the gender of our child without any hints from an ultrasound surprised me. My dad seems to always be right about things, so I secretly hoped he was right this time too. Today during my scan, my favorite sonographer announced that we were having a girl. Grandpa is always right. I never imagined our family starting with a baby boy. I don't know why, but a baby girl seems to fit just perfectly. Now I just have to keep calm and stay healthy for 19 more weeks.