Skip to main content

The Burger Stand Restaurant Review


After my bike fiasco last week, Marshall and I decided to go on a bike shopping trip on Monday morning. (I love Mondays because it is the only day of the week that Marshall wakes up with me because he didn't work until midnight or later the night before.) Instead of driving, we walked the 1.5 miles to the Sunflower Bike Shop downtown on Mass Street to check out what they had in stock. That was the second store we went to that morning. I just love that we are in walking distance to downtown! 

I liked the bikes that we saw there, but they were pricier than what I had tested out at Cycle Works. As it was nearing lunchtime, Marshall turned to me and said, "How about we consider this a date and stop somewhere for lunch?"  Truth be told, eating out rarely crosses my mind because I know that I can buy groceries for way less than a restaurant bill. However, it had been about 3 months since we last ate out together.  

So after he did some convincing on my part, I agreed and we stopped by The Burger Stand. We chose that place because two weeks ago I watched as its head chef won the cooking challenge at the Douglas County Fair. I liked what I tasted at the fair's contest, so I was excited to try out his restaurant. It did not disappoint!

As we were preparing to leave the restaurant to walk back home, the Kansas summer sky let out a torrential downpour, typical for the Midwest. We actually had a great time walking back home, even though we were soaking wet upon arriving home. *Memories* 

Here is my review of the restaurant:

What I ordered: Summertime Salad with the burger option--Kale, arugula, and romaine mix, cantaloupe, prosciutto, toasted almonds, with mango vinaigrette with the Spicy Shiitake patty which was a shiitake and crimini mushroom patty topped with habanero cream cheese and sliced avocado. I actually ate the House Salad--kale, arugula, romaine mix, blue cheese, bacon, cherry tomatoes, with avocado ranch, with the Spicy Shiitake patty (see below for details).

How I liked it: I loved that they had the option of ordering a salad with a bun-less burger because it gave me a chance to get some yummy greens along with the amazing flavors of a burger. The habanero cream cheese was really spicy on its own, but with the avocado and the mushroom patty, it tasted pretty great. It was still pretty spicy, so I probably wouldn't order it again, but it was a pleasant adventure for sure. The salad was delicious: I loved the avocado ranch with the duck fat fries dipped in...oh wow! They use very fresh ingredients and the tomatoes tasted and looked like they were freshly picked from the farm. 

Summertime Salad

What the husband ordered: Barnyard bash burger--fried chicken topped with sliced avocado, applewood smoked bacon, Swiss cheese, spicy honey mustard BBQ sauce, and assorted greens and Duck Fat Fries-- fries made in duck fat butter, spritzed with orange zest and fresh herbs (we shared the fries). 

How he liked it: Wow! Those duck fat fries were amazing. He said they were the best fries he had ever had. I would probably agree. He loved the flavor party of the burger and they did not skimp on the avocado portion size on either his burger nor my salad. The burger filled him up and we took the remaining fries home for later. 

Customer Service Review: I had ordered the Summertime Salad Special, but I got the House Salad. I didn't notice this until halfway through when I was like, "where is the cantaloupe?" I had Marshall go up to the bar for me and ask them if they could adjust our bill since we didn't get what I had paid for, but they cheerfully said they would make up the Summertime Salad for me in a to-go box and it was ready in less than 5 minutes. I say that was EXCELLENT customer service!!

Overall: I give The Burger Stand a two thumbs up for flavor and customer service. The atmosphere is more like a sports bar, but it was pleasant enough for us--not too loud, and easy enough to have a conversation. We arrived at 11:45 AM when there were only a couple of costumers. However, once it was high noon, hungry people kept flowing in and I couldn't believe how many were in line. So I'd say if I were to go again, I would go before noon. In terms of price, it was worth every penny, but our tab was $25 before tip. You get what you pay for however, and I don't mind paying creative chefs for serving me delicious and quality food in a gourmet fashion.

If you're ever in Lawrence and want a familiar yet unique dining experience, I would highly recommend The Burger Stand

It stopped raining a quarter of a mile before we got home.
You can't really tell, but Marshall is soaked to the bone!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hoping for a Rainbow

I'm really not sure if I ever thought this day would come. The day that I made it past 13 weeks pregnant without losing the baby. #miracle.  I know I am not out of the woods yet, and honestly, when are we really? I am just trying to live every day with gratitude for the life inside of me, living with hope for the future.  Part of me wanted to wait until next week, when I was past 14 weeks and officially in the 2nd trimester, but I couldn't wait any longer. I've been getting a little thick in the middle, which is getting more difficult to hide, and I feel like I haven't been able to be completely honest with friends when they would ask, "how are you doing?" All I wanted to talk about was how nauseous I was or how nervous I felt. So now, the news is out, whether or not you already suspected something was up.  Seriously though, the 1st trimester is not for the faint of heart! There were many instances when I thought I would lose the baby, but dee

I'm Pregnant! .....

...or so I thought. And you did too. Happy April Fools Day! I had been having baby dreams and feeling nauseous on and off during spring break, and I knew I would test immediately when I returned home from our road trip. The test was barely visible and I didn't believe it, so I said nothing to Marshall. That night I had a dream where the next pregnancy test I took was a solid double line. Well, two days after the first test, I got my obvious positive. I was so excited. Not knowing if it would be a good pregnancy or not, I tested again two days later and the line was darker, so I felt confident.  The past two pregnancies I miscarried at approximately 6 or 7 weeks both times, so I was pretty nervous about this one. What if it happened again? Would I be strong enough? Knowing that I needed extra strength and prayers, I asked roughly 40 of our family and closest friends to fast and pray with us on Easter Sunday. That Sunday I was on the top of the world. I felt so strong an

Grandpa is Always Right | Gender Reveal |

I was hanging out in our rental apartment in Salzburg, Austria with my sister when my dad walked out of his bedroom and announced that I was having a girl. I was only 11 weeks along at that point and while I was wishfully hoping for a girl, I was preparing myself for a boy. His strong conviction of the gender of our child without any hints from an ultrasound surprised me. My dad seems to always be right about things, so I secretly hoped he was right this time too. Today during my scan, my favorite sonographer announced that we were having a girl. Grandpa is always right. I never imagined our family starting with a baby boy. I don't know why, but a baby girl seems to fit just perfectly. Now I just have to keep calm and stay healthy for 19 more weeks.