Skip to main content

Rag Quilt: Ten Years Later

It seemed as we were walking through miles and miles of fabric. On either side of me were bolts of brightly colored flannel and a million possibilities. 

"How about this one? Do you like it?" Grandma C. asked. 

"Ya I like it. Oooo! Look at this one!" I said as I pointed to a yellow Hello Kitty printed piece. 

"Alright, put it on the stack then."

This sort of conversation went on for quite some time as we made our way through the array of fabric options. The year was 2005 and Grandma had come to California to visit. She had taken up a new project of making rag quilts for all of her grandchildren and that day was the day my sister and I would pick out our pieces. I had so much fun finding pieces that I felt represented me. Some were more like me than others, but they are all cute and all made me smile. 






As the years passed and life happened, Grandma had some health issues and my sister's and my quilts never got made. Grandma passed away in October 2012.  When my mom returned to Grandma's home to clean it out, my sister and I asked her to pick up our fabric so that we could finish our quilts in honor of our sweet Grandma who showed us so much love. 


I never found the chance to finish my quilt at the end of 2012 or in 2013 or 2014, but when I moved to Kansas in 2015, my schedule opened up and I finally was able to finish a project that was long-due.  This was no ordinary project because I was able to reflect on my memories with Grandma. Her example of love and care for her grand kids was so evident. I loved the stories she told and sitting in the sand at the beach as she showed me the shapes in the clouds.  These kinds of memories made me smile and made the 20+ hours of working on the quilt totally worth it. 

The How-to:  
Rag quilts are awesome because they do not require exactness or any pinning. It took me about a week to finish it and I am happy with how it turned out.

1) My quilt was 12 squares X 12 squares, 144 squares for top and 144 for bottom.
2) I cut my squares 7.5 inches per side to allow for a 1/2 inch frill on each side.
3) My batting squares were 6.5 inches per side
3) I then decided on a pattern and put the pieces together: bottom fabric, batting, and then top. 
4) Sewed an "x" through each square to hold the pieces together.
5) Sewed the finished squares together along the side to make finished rows.
6) Sewed the finished rows together.
7) Snipped the raw edges to make frills
8) Washed and dried the quilt to allow the frills to get a "rag" look. 

Ta da!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hoping for a Rainbow

I'm really not sure if I ever thought this day would come. The day that I made it past 13 weeks pregnant without losing the baby. #miracle.  I know I am not out of the woods yet, and honestly, when are we really? I am just trying to live every day with gratitude for the life inside of me, living with hope for the future.  Part of me wanted to wait until next week, when I was past 14 weeks and officially in the 2nd trimester, but I couldn't wait any longer. I've been getting a little thick in the middle, which is getting more difficult to hide, and I feel like I haven't been able to be completely honest with friends when they would ask, "how are you doing?" All I wanted to talk about was how nauseous I was or how nervous I felt. So now, the news is out, whether or not you already suspected something was up.  Seriously though, the 1st trimester is not for the faint of heart! There were many instances when I thought I would lose the baby, but dee

I'm Pregnant! .....

...or so I thought. And you did too. Happy April Fools Day! I had been having baby dreams and feeling nauseous on and off during spring break, and I knew I would test immediately when I returned home from our road trip. The test was barely visible and I didn't believe it, so I said nothing to Marshall. That night I had a dream where the next pregnancy test I took was a solid double line. Well, two days after the first test, I got my obvious positive. I was so excited. Not knowing if it would be a good pregnancy or not, I tested again two days later and the line was darker, so I felt confident.  The past two pregnancies I miscarried at approximately 6 or 7 weeks both times, so I was pretty nervous about this one. What if it happened again? Would I be strong enough? Knowing that I needed extra strength and prayers, I asked roughly 40 of our family and closest friends to fast and pray with us on Easter Sunday. That Sunday I was on the top of the world. I felt so strong an

Grandpa is Always Right | Gender Reveal |

I was hanging out in our rental apartment in Salzburg, Austria with my sister when my dad walked out of his bedroom and announced that I was having a girl. I was only 11 weeks along at that point and while I was wishfully hoping for a girl, I was preparing myself for a boy. His strong conviction of the gender of our child without any hints from an ultrasound surprised me. My dad seems to always be right about things, so I secretly hoped he was right this time too. Today during my scan, my favorite sonographer announced that we were having a girl. Grandpa is always right. I never imagined our family starting with a baby boy. I don't know why, but a baby girl seems to fit just perfectly. Now I just have to keep calm and stay healthy for 19 more weeks.