Skip to main content

The Midnight Sun: Where June 21st is a Bigger Deal than New Year's Eve.

Post race smiles.
I made sure to wear my good luck running t-shirt. This explains why you've seen it so often.
I don't know any other place where the summer solstice gets more people together and out of the house than in Fairbanks, Alaska. It is almost easy to say that if you didn't have any plans on the 21st, you either just moved here or you really didn't want any plans. On New Year's Eve 2013 I went to bed at 12:01 am. On the Summer Solstice 2014 I went to bed at 2:30 am. It was still so bright outside.  

With Cami and Michael Crutcher after our awesome finishes.
Marshall and I ran in the Midnight Sun Run 10 K last night. It began at 10 pm at the University and ended at Pioneer Park.  I ran it two years ago alone, but Marshall was not there to run it with me and we were out of town last year, so this was out last year to do it together! I have taken a break from running so I was pretty nervous going into the race, hoping I had prepared enough over the past few weeks.  Marshall was great at encouraging me during the days leading up to the race when I would express nervous emotions.

We were all hoping for good weather on Saturday because there had been nearly non-stop rain for three days prior, so much so that the Chena River flooded in some areas.  All I cared was that it was dry when the race began, since I dislike being chilled before a race.  Sure enough everything happened for the best and the rain held off during the duration of the evening except for a light sprinkle during the middle of the race. 

When the cannon went off, I made my way through the front lines of runners and tried to find my race pace. Immediately, I found the runner I was going to race against. She was about my size, with ear buds in her ears and wearing white eye-lit lace shorts. "There is no way I am going to let a girl wearing white shorts beat me," I thought. We were neck and neck the entire race until about mile 6, when I let myself sprint past her for the last 0.2 mile finish. 

Going into the race I had a few goals:
  1. Enjoy the physical capabilities of my body to be able to run a 10 K. 
  2. Place in the top 10 females (I was 11th two years ago)
  3. Beat 2012's time of 43:41
  4. Feel healthy the day after the race, for this is the true mark of a healthy body!
Surprisingly, I did all of the above. I was so excited. 
  1. I was calm the entire race and allowed my breath to carry my body over each mile (thank you yoga)
  2. I came in 10th female and 100th overall! (Click here for official results)
  3. I crossed the finish line at 43:01!
  4. The day after I felt great, with just some minor calf soreness.
The community was wonderful during the race. This run was better than two years ago because I know so many more people, so waving and calling out to them while I was running was so motivational. As I was standing on the starting line, I looked over to my right and saw Stephanie, the acupuncturist I met with for a few months, and I called out and said hi. She responded with, "Hi Jenessa! Gosh, I know so many people. I love Fairbanks!" 

               She took the words right out of my mouth. 

Marshall ran well too. With this being his first 10 K race, he performed stellar. 


It is a good practice to congratulate the other runners after the race.
The girl I am talking to is who I raced for the entire course.
She pushed me, and without her to race next to, I would definitely not have ran as fast as I did!


It honestly looks like I am about to start a fight.
I promise I was congratulating him and about to high-five him!



This experience taught me to trust in myself and my abilities. I truly doubted throughout the past couple of weeks. Luckily I was strong enough to practice the mental side of my race during this past week. During my yoga practices, I imagined exactly how I wanted to finish. Top ten. A personal record. It was almost a reality in my mind before I realized it on June 21st. 


Your mind is a powerful tool. Use it to your advantage!


Me and my skater after she finished!! So proud of her and all of my skaters who participated. 

Comments

  1. Jenessa, that is so cool!!! Congratulations on your PR, and finishing top 10, that's amazing! No better feeling than strong and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing! That's so awesome that you achieved all your goals! Also, I'm super impressed that you got a PR after taking a break from running recently. When things like that happen, I feel like the Lord is blessing us with the things we would appreciate because we are doing the things we are supposed to. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hoping for a Rainbow

I'm really not sure if I ever thought this day would come. The day that I made it past 13 weeks pregnant without losing the baby. #miracle.  I know I am not out of the woods yet, and honestly, when are we really? I am just trying to live every day with gratitude for the life inside of me, living with hope for the future.  Part of me wanted to wait until next week, when I was past 14 weeks and officially in the 2nd trimester, but I couldn't wait any longer. I've been getting a little thick in the middle, which is getting more difficult to hide, and I feel like I haven't been able to be completely honest with friends when they would ask, "how are you doing?" All I wanted to talk about was how nauseous I was or how nervous I felt. So now, the news is out, whether or not you already suspected something was up.  Seriously though, the 1st trimester is not for the faint of heart! There were many instances when I thought I would lose the baby, but dee

I'm Pregnant! .....

...or so I thought. And you did too. Happy April Fools Day! I had been having baby dreams and feeling nauseous on and off during spring break, and I knew I would test immediately when I returned home from our road trip. The test was barely visible and I didn't believe it, so I said nothing to Marshall. That night I had a dream where the next pregnancy test I took was a solid double line. Well, two days after the first test, I got my obvious positive. I was so excited. Not knowing if it would be a good pregnancy or not, I tested again two days later and the line was darker, so I felt confident.  The past two pregnancies I miscarried at approximately 6 or 7 weeks both times, so I was pretty nervous about this one. What if it happened again? Would I be strong enough? Knowing that I needed extra strength and prayers, I asked roughly 40 of our family and closest friends to fast and pray with us on Easter Sunday. That Sunday I was on the top of the world. I felt so strong an

Grandpa is Always Right | Gender Reveal |

I was hanging out in our rental apartment in Salzburg, Austria with my sister when my dad walked out of his bedroom and announced that I was having a girl. I was only 11 weeks along at that point and while I was wishfully hoping for a girl, I was preparing myself for a boy. His strong conviction of the gender of our child without any hints from an ultrasound surprised me. My dad seems to always be right about things, so I secretly hoped he was right this time too. Today during my scan, my favorite sonographer announced that we were having a girl. Grandpa is always right. I never imagined our family starting with a baby boy. I don't know why, but a baby girl seems to fit just perfectly. Now I just have to keep calm and stay healthy for 19 more weeks.