Skip to main content

Doing Something Spontaneous is Good for Your Health

I seem to blog more when my husband is away. Must be the extra free time. But guess what I did today?!

I was spontaneous! And had fun on my day off!! It feels so good.

There was no ice today, so I did not have to go into coach and my body thanked me for it. In all fairness, I haven't had a vacation since Christmas, and with Marshall having been gone for nearly three months since the new year, I just need. to. stop. Don't think I don't love  my job. But I am realizing more as I get older that the mind is just as important to rest as the physical body.



I had been noticing that my emotional state had been in need of serious TLC this week, especially when I realized that it was Wednesday and I had not seen any of my friends since Saturday. It is so important for me to see girlfriends on a regular basis, especially when my husband is out of town. So on Wednesday evening, after a super emotional private breakdown in my living room, I drove over unannounced to see another Army wife who's husband is in Korea, and who also has two small children. We just sat and chit-chatted for an hour. That was it. But it lifted my spirits as well as hers, and the rest of the night was just glorious. Who needs a prescription for Prozac when an hour with a girlfriend works so much better?

Then this morning (Thursday), I slept in and woke up with the uplifted spirits of a child on Christmas because I had the entire afternoon planned with my really great girlfriend, Amber. Nothing was planned, but I knew we would not be spending it inside; it was too gorgeous outside.
Two happy girls after float down the Chena
When she came over at 1pm, I bounced the idea of renting a canoe and going on the Chena River. I had done it with Marshall last year, so I didn't think it would be too difficult alone.  Amber was up for the idea, but when I called MWR to see if we could rent one, I was reminded that I needed a boater's safety card. Ugh. Really? Silly Army regulations. So I nixed that idea and went into the room to get changed out of my workout clothes when it dawned on me that I had a friend who owned some boats! Juliet to the rescue! She was so gracious in letting us borrow her blow up raft, and we let in right in her backyard. (She is like the most generous person I know).

Now comes the hilarious part. After blowing up the raft, we got in the boat in the river, without our shoes, and started paddling down. I have kayaked many times before up stream, so I figured it wouldn't be a big deal to paddle in the raft up stream. Hahaha ya right! We could barely keep it going straight down stream. We couldn't stop laughing at ourselves. Luckily I had brought my phone, so we called up Amber's friend who owned a suburban and she "rescued" us at the end of our float. :) It felt amazing to be out on the open water with nothing bothering us. Just two silly girls relaxing on a raft, trying our best to go straight, but mostly just spinning in circles.

During the float, a nice old man came paddling down on his stand up paddle board. I commented to him how hilarious these two girls in a blow up raft must look, barley able to keep going in a straight line. He responded by saying, "No, you're out on the water on a beautiful day. Who cares if you are any good? At least you're outside!" What a great message!!


This is my CHALLENGE TO YOU: 
Get out and do something spontaneous this summer.
Better off, do something spontaneous and fun this week!
Your mental health will thank you for it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hoping for a Rainbow

I'm really not sure if I ever thought this day would come. The day that I made it past 13 weeks pregnant without losing the baby. #miracle.  I know I am not out of the woods yet, and honestly, when are we really? I am just trying to live every day with gratitude for the life inside of me, living with hope for the future.  Part of me wanted to wait until next week, when I was past 14 weeks and officially in the 2nd trimester, but I couldn't wait any longer. I've been getting a little thick in the middle, which is getting more difficult to hide, and I feel like I haven't been able to be completely honest with friends when they would ask, "how are you doing?" All I wanted to talk about was how nauseous I was or how nervous I felt. So now, the news is out, whether or not you already suspected something was up.  Seriously though, the 1st trimester is not for the faint of heart! There were many instances when I thought I would lose the baby, but dee

I'm Pregnant! .....

...or so I thought. And you did too. Happy April Fools Day! I had been having baby dreams and feeling nauseous on and off during spring break, and I knew I would test immediately when I returned home from our road trip. The test was barely visible and I didn't believe it, so I said nothing to Marshall. That night I had a dream where the next pregnancy test I took was a solid double line. Well, two days after the first test, I got my obvious positive. I was so excited. Not knowing if it would be a good pregnancy or not, I tested again two days later and the line was darker, so I felt confident.  The past two pregnancies I miscarried at approximately 6 or 7 weeks both times, so I was pretty nervous about this one. What if it happened again? Would I be strong enough? Knowing that I needed extra strength and prayers, I asked roughly 40 of our family and closest friends to fast and pray with us on Easter Sunday. That Sunday I was on the top of the world. I felt so strong an

Grandpa is Always Right | Gender Reveal |

I was hanging out in our rental apartment in Salzburg, Austria with my sister when my dad walked out of his bedroom and announced that I was having a girl. I was only 11 weeks along at that point and while I was wishfully hoping for a girl, I was preparing myself for a boy. His strong conviction of the gender of our child without any hints from an ultrasound surprised me. My dad seems to always be right about things, so I secretly hoped he was right this time too. Today during my scan, my favorite sonographer announced that we were having a girl. Grandpa is always right. I never imagined our family starting with a baby boy. I don't know why, but a baby girl seems to fit just perfectly. Now I just have to keep calm and stay healthy for 19 more weeks.