Skip to main content

Am I preparing to be a mom, or what?

Last night felt like Mom Training 101.  I was up every hour for the first half of the night and I don't even have kids yet.  Don't get me wrong, I welcome the day when I will have to stay up/be woken up for my baby in the middle of the night and get no sleep.  But last night I was doing it for a silly loaf of bread, not for a precious child. 

Anyways, Tuesday morning I woke up and realized we needed more bread.  I decided to try out America's Test Kitchen's Whole Wheat Sandwich bread because I finally had all of the necessary ingredients and I wanted a change of pace from the bread I typically make.  I have a really bad habit of not reading all of the instructions PRIOR to starting to cook; yesterday was no exception.  As I started to read the recipe, I saw that I needed to create a sponge and let it sit for 8-24 hours.  So I made it at 7:30am and planned to finish the recipe after I got home from coaching at 7pm that night.  At 8pm I began to read the next step in the recipe, and to my horror, I realized that I needed 5 more hours to finish the bread.  It needed to be kneaded, raise for 45 minutes, kneaded again, raise for another 45 minutes, divided and shaped into 2 loaves, raise for another hour, then baked for 50 minutes.  This wouldn't have been a problem at all if it was 5 pm, or the fact that I needed to wake up at 5am the next morning.  And it wasn't like I could just "pause" the process and go to sleep and finish the next day.  

It's so pretty!!  Seriously tasted like fresh bakery bread...but I made it :)


So the only thing I really could do was keep on pushing forward.  I ran into a hurdle when I realized the recipe was for 2 loafs, and my Kitchen Aid wasn't big enough to mix the dough...so after constantly stopping and pushing the climbing dough back down into the bowl, I took it out and kneaded it by hand.  After I let it start rising for the first period, I set my alarm clock and went to sleep. For the next few hours, my alarm was going off and I was getting up and changing the bread.  At 1am I woke up to a wonderful aroma of fresh baked bread in my house.  And when my real alarm went off at 5, I got up and sliced into the bread that had been cooling on my counter, spread a bit of fresh avocado on top, and bit into a little piece of heaven.  Yep, all of that work was worth it!  The crust was perfectly crusty and the inside was soft and moist--just like sandwich bread should be. 

Luckily the bread was worth all of the lack of sleep I received.  I will definitely be making it again, but next time I won't be doing it in the middle of the night.

 And hopefully the child I will someday have to lose sleep over will be worth it too, though I don't doubt it at all.  I'm just ready for the day the Lord blesses me with that challenge!! 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hoping for a Rainbow

I'm really not sure if I ever thought this day would come. The day that I made it past 13 weeks pregnant without losing the baby. #miracle.  I know I am not out of the woods yet, and honestly, when are we really? I am just trying to live every day with gratitude for the life inside of me, living with hope for the future.  Part of me wanted to wait until next week, when I was past 14 weeks and officially in the 2nd trimester, but I couldn't wait any longer. I've been getting a little thick in the middle, which is getting more difficult to hide, and I feel like I haven't been able to be completely honest with friends when they would ask, "how are you doing?" All I wanted to talk about was how nauseous I was or how nervous I felt. So now, the news is out, whether or not you already suspected something was up.  Seriously though, the 1st trimester is not for the faint of heart! There were many instances when I thought I would lose the baby, but dee

I'm Pregnant! .....

...or so I thought. And you did too. Happy April Fools Day! I had been having baby dreams and feeling nauseous on and off during spring break, and I knew I would test immediately when I returned home from our road trip. The test was barely visible and I didn't believe it, so I said nothing to Marshall. That night I had a dream where the next pregnancy test I took was a solid double line. Well, two days after the first test, I got my obvious positive. I was so excited. Not knowing if it would be a good pregnancy or not, I tested again two days later and the line was darker, so I felt confident.  The past two pregnancies I miscarried at approximately 6 or 7 weeks both times, so I was pretty nervous about this one. What if it happened again? Would I be strong enough? Knowing that I needed extra strength and prayers, I asked roughly 40 of our family and closest friends to fast and pray with us on Easter Sunday. That Sunday I was on the top of the world. I felt so strong an

Grandpa is Always Right | Gender Reveal |

I was hanging out in our rental apartment in Salzburg, Austria with my sister when my dad walked out of his bedroom and announced that I was having a girl. I was only 11 weeks along at that point and while I was wishfully hoping for a girl, I was preparing myself for a boy. His strong conviction of the gender of our child without any hints from an ultrasound surprised me. My dad seems to always be right about things, so I secretly hoped he was right this time too. Today during my scan, my favorite sonographer announced that we were having a girl. Grandpa is always right. I never imagined our family starting with a baby boy. I don't know why, but a baby girl seems to fit just perfectly. Now I just have to keep calm and stay healthy for 19 more weeks.