Skip to main content

The Power of a Slice of Bacon

Nothing to do with a Army PT test,
but this was at the "Beat Beethoven 5K"
on the 13th of April

I have always been a big supporter of setting personal goals and making a plan to follow through with them, especially when it comes to athletics and performance.  But I also know that these goals really are a personal endeavor, and no one can make another accomplish the goal.  The motivation and effort has to come from the individual setting the goal.

But I may be wrong.  A slice of bacon might have the power to help a person accomplish a certain goal.

Let me explain.

Ever since my husband entered the Army, just shy of 2 years ago, he has been saying he was going to get a perfect score of 300 on his PT test.  I believed in him, and kept waiting for him to come home from his PT tests with that perfect score.  But he seemed to always come shy of the elusive 300, by just a couple of points.   

How could I help him achieve his 300 I knew he could do?  As hard as I tried to support him and motivate him to get it, I finally realized that I really couldn't do anything except love him for his efforts and all he does (for he is an amazing soldier and husband).  The amazing thing is that this worked. 

A week or so before the scheduled PT test, he woke up early to do 50 push ups and 50 sit ups before leaving the house for PT.  A week later on test day, I was woken up by a text that read,
"80 PU's!!!
87 Sit ups!!!" 
He needed to get 75 Push ups and 78 sit ups, and a 13:00 2 mile run, all of which he did!! ( He actually got a 312, which is better than perfect).
Oh, about the bacon.  Monday night I told him that if he got a 300 on his PT test the next morning, he would get an extra slice of bacon for breakfast.  He joked about this, saying that as he was doing his sit ups he would be thinking to himself, "bacon...bacon..."
I guess I don't have the ability to make him get a 300.  But my husband's determination and work ethic does.  And a little bacon doesn't hurt. 

Comments

  1. I love this. What simple yet important insight into the support and love that all relationship require! You're such a sweet wife I'm sure, and I always love reading about the new things you find out within marriage! Congratulations to your hubby as well!

    Elissa :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so kind! I learn new things about being married every day...luckily my husband is patient with me as I learn and make mistakes. :)

      Delete
  2. Way to go, Marshall! Way to go, Jenessa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome!!! Way to go Marshall for being MORE than perfect! :D Congratulations, I remember him talking at New Years about trying to reach 300, so excited for him that he finally made it! And way to go Jenessa for encouraging him till he got there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a spouse can do with a little love....and bacon, is magic ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hoping for a Rainbow

I'm really not sure if I ever thought this day would come. The day that I made it past 13 weeks pregnant without losing the baby. #miracle.  I know I am not out of the woods yet, and honestly, when are we really? I am just trying to live every day with gratitude for the life inside of me, living with hope for the future.  Part of me wanted to wait until next week, when I was past 14 weeks and officially in the 2nd trimester, but I couldn't wait any longer. I've been getting a little thick in the middle, which is getting more difficult to hide, and I feel like I haven't been able to be completely honest with friends when they would ask, "how are you doing?" All I wanted to talk about was how nauseous I was or how nervous I felt. So now, the news is out, whether or not you already suspected something was up.  Seriously though, the 1st trimester is not for the faint of heart! There were many instances when I thought I would lose the baby, but dee

I'm Pregnant! .....

...or so I thought. And you did too. Happy April Fools Day! I had been having baby dreams and feeling nauseous on and off during spring break, and I knew I would test immediately when I returned home from our road trip. The test was barely visible and I didn't believe it, so I said nothing to Marshall. That night I had a dream where the next pregnancy test I took was a solid double line. Well, two days after the first test, I got my obvious positive. I was so excited. Not knowing if it would be a good pregnancy or not, I tested again two days later and the line was darker, so I felt confident.  The past two pregnancies I miscarried at approximately 6 or 7 weeks both times, so I was pretty nervous about this one. What if it happened again? Would I be strong enough? Knowing that I needed extra strength and prayers, I asked roughly 40 of our family and closest friends to fast and pray with us on Easter Sunday. That Sunday I was on the top of the world. I felt so strong an

Grandpa is Always Right | Gender Reveal |

I was hanging out in our rental apartment in Salzburg, Austria with my sister when my dad walked out of his bedroom and announced that I was having a girl. I was only 11 weeks along at that point and while I was wishfully hoping for a girl, I was preparing myself for a boy. His strong conviction of the gender of our child without any hints from an ultrasound surprised me. My dad seems to always be right about things, so I secretly hoped he was right this time too. Today during my scan, my favorite sonographer announced that we were having a girl. Grandpa is always right. I never imagined our family starting with a baby boy. I don't know why, but a baby girl seems to fit just perfectly. Now I just have to keep calm and stay healthy for 19 more weeks.