Skip to main content

Dear Adelai | 9 Months |: Happiness

Dear Adelai,



"Be thankful that you don't already have everything you desire. 
If you did, what would there be to look forward to? 
Be thankful when you don't know something, 
for it gives you the opportunity to learn.
Be thankful for the difficult times.
During those times you grow. 
Be thankful for each new challenge,
because it will build your strength and character. 
Be thankful for your mistakes, they will teach you valuable lessons. 
Be thankful when you're tired and weary,
because it means you've made a difference.
It is easy to be thankful for the good things. 
A life of rich fulfillment comes to those who are also thankful for the setbacks. 
Gratitude can turn a negative into a positive. 
Find a way to be thankful for your troubles and they can become your blessings."
-Anonymous



Oh sweet girl, I heard this quote today at the end of my yoga practice and immediately thought of you. You were climbing all over me during my practice today, just like every other day, but I appreciate your willingness to give me some yoga time, even if you don't play on your own for its entirety. You make me smile and laugh so often with your desire to tease, giggle, and participate in life.  I have to just go with the flow and realize that yoga with baby climbing all over you is better than no yoga at all.  I thought of you when I head this poem because this is what I want for you. I want you to have a life full of gratitude and joy. You seem to be on the right track already.

Four weeks ago you came down with a cold. What struck me was how happy you were, despite your discomfort. Sure, you had a difficult time sleeping and we had many exhausting nights, but you were always happy when I was tending to you. I can still see in my mind your snot-covered face smiling at me with your two bottom teeth glistening. I know what it is like to have a cold, and I rarely feel like smiling when my nose is running and there is pressure in my sinuses. But you were happy for an entire week of mucous and congestion. Thank you. 

Thank you for teaching me to be happy. I'm not as good at it as you, but I know that's one reason you were sent to me. To teach me about the joys in life.

This past month you have become more "clingy" to me. You still love to play with your dad and you have no problem being held by others, but when you are tired or hungry, you only want me. It is an amazing thing for me because despite my constant mistakes, yet you still want me. You follow me around the house like a puppy dog. One morning we were kneeling down for family prayer and you were a few feet away playing with a shoe. Both dad and I knelt there and said gesturing, "come here," and we repeated the phrase until  you crawled over to one of us. You chose to come to me. I love the way you cling onto me when I hold you. Your hugs are like that of a koala's. It can be exhausting that  you always want me, but I soak up each time you hold onto me and I feel your soft cheek brush against mine.

Thank you for accepting me as your mother. Thank you for loving your dad and for crawling towards him when you hear him come home each night. You may want me for comfort, but you sure do love your daddy!

Thank you for gracing us with your presence for three-quarters of a year. I'm excited to share this Christmas season with you.

With love forever,
Mom




















Comments

  1. I love all the pictures, but her face when she's sitting in the tire swing is my favorite! Although the one in the high chair covered in beets is a good one, too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hoping for a Rainbow

I'm really not sure if I ever thought this day would come. The day that I made it past 13 weeks pregnant without losing the baby. #miracle.  I know I am not out of the woods yet, and honestly, when are we really? I am just trying to live every day with gratitude for the life inside of me, living with hope for the future.  Part of me wanted to wait until next week, when I was past 14 weeks and officially in the 2nd trimester, but I couldn't wait any longer. I've been getting a little thick in the middle, which is getting more difficult to hide, and I feel like I haven't been able to be completely honest with friends when they would ask, "how are you doing?" All I wanted to talk about was how nauseous I was or how nervous I felt. So now, the news is out, whether or not you already suspected something was up.  Seriously though, the 1st trimester is not for the faint of heart! There were many instances when I thought I would lose the baby, but dee

I'm Pregnant! .....

...or so I thought. And you did too. Happy April Fools Day! I had been having baby dreams and feeling nauseous on and off during spring break, and I knew I would test immediately when I returned home from our road trip. The test was barely visible and I didn't believe it, so I said nothing to Marshall. That night I had a dream where the next pregnancy test I took was a solid double line. Well, two days after the first test, I got my obvious positive. I was so excited. Not knowing if it would be a good pregnancy or not, I tested again two days later and the line was darker, so I felt confident.  The past two pregnancies I miscarried at approximately 6 or 7 weeks both times, so I was pretty nervous about this one. What if it happened again? Would I be strong enough? Knowing that I needed extra strength and prayers, I asked roughly 40 of our family and closest friends to fast and pray with us on Easter Sunday. That Sunday I was on the top of the world. I felt so strong an

Grandpa is Always Right | Gender Reveal |

I was hanging out in our rental apartment in Salzburg, Austria with my sister when my dad walked out of his bedroom and announced that I was having a girl. I was only 11 weeks along at that point and while I was wishfully hoping for a girl, I was preparing myself for a boy. His strong conviction of the gender of our child without any hints from an ultrasound surprised me. My dad seems to always be right about things, so I secretly hoped he was right this time too. Today during my scan, my favorite sonographer announced that we were having a girl. Grandpa is always right. I never imagined our family starting with a baby boy. I don't know why, but a baby girl seems to fit just perfectly. Now I just have to keep calm and stay healthy for 19 more weeks.