Skip to main content

Summer's Bounty

I stood there looking at my grocery list and back in the produce shelf to decide what vegetable I was going to substitute for the not-on-sale-vegetable I had on my list.  As I made my decision and picked up some crisp cabbage, an employee passed by while pushing a cart full of peaches and asked, "Have you tried these peaches? They're delicious!"

"Yes I have, in fact I canned some just last night," was my response. Without saying much besides a smile, she slipped into the back and I continued on with my shopping. A few moments later she reappeared and came directly towards me. 

Reaching out for my hand she said, "How old are you?"

"25." I replied.

She continued to shake my hand. "Congratulations. There aren't many 25-year-olds who know how to can these days." 

I can tell you that I was pretty blown away by her kindness and her effort to go out of her way and show me that I did something awesome. Later, when I was purchasing my groceries, she happened to be the one ringing me up and told the bagger lady about the amazing 25-year-old-girl-who-knows-how-to-can standing right in front of them. 

When the peaches were only $0.25/pound, I couldn't pass up buying a whole bunch for the freezer and jars. 

This was my first time doing peaches, but I think they turned out mighty pretty. I lightly followed this recipe. We'll have to wait until the winter to taste them to see if they were truly successful. 


This is the wonderful thing about summer. You have the summer's bounty to save for the winter months. I grew up in California and my mom and dad had turned our tiny yard into a Garden of Eden. Seriously though, when I had to buy my first lemon or orange at the store when I moved to college, I couldn't do it. People pay a $1 for these things? 

Anyways, since I haven't made the space for a garden/am really scared about my brown thumb, I haven't been able to bask in the satisfaction of fresh home-grown food as a married woman. But, I do know how to get the best deals out of the sale ad and at the farmer's market. 

Did you know that you can buy tomatoes at the farmer's market for way less than they advertise? It's called seconds and they are actually pretty coveted, though you usually have to ask if they have them. Tomato seconds are the not so pretty tomatoes that have blemishes or may be a little over or under ripe. But if you're going to blanch and freeze/can them, who cares? Not me. I bought 10 pounds for $10. That's a pretty sweet deal, considering that the same stand sold their regular tomatoes for 3 times that amount. 


I did want to actually can the tomatoes, but I ended up just blanching, peeling, chopping, and freezing them. 

No, I don't know a lot about canning and preserving food. But I do know how to seek out the information and get the job done. I figure that if my husband is bringing home the main income in our family, I ought to do my best in seeing that it is used in the best way possible. For me right now, that is buying (extra) wholesome food in peek season and on sale and preserving it for later use. 

Though food preservation can be tedious and exhausting, above all, it's pretty satisfying to see the fruits of your labors. 

Enjoy the rest of your summer, my friends!! 

Remember to just be YOU

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hoping for a Rainbow

I'm really not sure if I ever thought this day would come. The day that I made it past 13 weeks pregnant without losing the baby. #miracle.  I know I am not out of the woods yet, and honestly, when are we really? I am just trying to live every day with gratitude for the life inside of me, living with hope for the future.  Part of me wanted to wait until next week, when I was past 14 weeks and officially in the 2nd trimester, but I couldn't wait any longer. I've been getting a little thick in the middle, which is getting more difficult to hide, and I feel like I haven't been able to be completely honest with friends when they would ask, "how are you doing?" All I wanted to talk about was how nauseous I was or how nervous I felt. So now, the news is out, whether or not you already suspected something was up.  Seriously though, the 1st trimester is not for the faint of heart! There were many instances when I thought I would lose the baby, but dee

I'm Pregnant! .....

...or so I thought. And you did too. Happy April Fools Day! I had been having baby dreams and feeling nauseous on and off during spring break, and I knew I would test immediately when I returned home from our road trip. The test was barely visible and I didn't believe it, so I said nothing to Marshall. That night I had a dream where the next pregnancy test I took was a solid double line. Well, two days after the first test, I got my obvious positive. I was so excited. Not knowing if it would be a good pregnancy or not, I tested again two days later and the line was darker, so I felt confident.  The past two pregnancies I miscarried at approximately 6 or 7 weeks both times, so I was pretty nervous about this one. What if it happened again? Would I be strong enough? Knowing that I needed extra strength and prayers, I asked roughly 40 of our family and closest friends to fast and pray with us on Easter Sunday. That Sunday I was on the top of the world. I felt so strong an

Grandpa is Always Right | Gender Reveal |

I was hanging out in our rental apartment in Salzburg, Austria with my sister when my dad walked out of his bedroom and announced that I was having a girl. I was only 11 weeks along at that point and while I was wishfully hoping for a girl, I was preparing myself for a boy. His strong conviction of the gender of our child without any hints from an ultrasound surprised me. My dad seems to always be right about things, so I secretly hoped he was right this time too. Today during my scan, my favorite sonographer announced that we were having a girl. Grandpa is always right. I never imagined our family starting with a baby boy. I don't know why, but a baby girl seems to fit just perfectly. Now I just have to keep calm and stay healthy for 19 more weeks.