Skip to main content

A Perfect Day with Family (topped off with a marble pound cake)

This past Saturday was just Awesome!

Granted I woke up exhausted from Friday's birthday excitement. Is this what it feels like to be hung-over? Because it just stinks.  Luckily I felt better as the day progressed. Like I said in yesterday's post, Marshall awoke early to play with his airplane and we both walked over to Centennial Park to have his first flight at 8 AM. The skies were clear and he did a great job for his first time in flight. It made me happy how much he loved that thing!


At 9:30 AM, we drove to the Kansas City Temple. It was a special day for our family because his younger brother Hyrum (I can't say little because Hyrum is taller than Marshall...) was going through for the first time. The neat thing is that there were 25 family members there at the same time all in support of him! Grandparents, Mom and Dad, sisters, brothers, aunts, uncles, and cousins. It is definitely true that the Temple is made for families.




 After the temple, Marshall's parents and Hyrum and younger sister, Lilly, all came over to our place in Lawrence for dinner and to see our home. In the 3.5 years that we have been married, they have never been to our home. It was fun to have family over and to cook for them.

I made chili on Friday (everyone knows chili tastes better the next day anyways!) and put potatoes in the crock pot in the morning--after 6 hours on low they were perfectly tender and I didn't have to heat up the oven. I also made a two layer marble pound cake for Hyrum as a celebratory dessert. He requested marble cake, so this is what he got. It was supposed to be a three layer cake, but I didn't want to make all that frosting, so we settled with a two layer cake and a dozen un-frosted cupcakes. The cake was pretty delicious, but I suppose it should be with a dozen eggs and two pounds of butter! I was happy the frosting turned out delicious too because I had altered the chocolate frosting to use honey instead of powdered sugar. It was yummy!! Never be afraid of altering and trying new things. You may get a mistake, but you also may discover a delicious creation. Either way, you've learned something new. I always try to remember that.


I know you're basking in the loveliness of my awesome cake platter. Ya, it's pretty cool I know. An upside down cookie sheet.


I think time with family is so important! Being able to invite them over to our home for three hours of relaxation, quiet, and food was very therapeutic. We enjoyed laughter and stories, and it was a great time to spend one last afternoon with Hyrum before he heads out to serve a mission in Las Vegas for two years next week.

You know a secret? The day would have been just as good even if I hadn't spent six hours on a fancy cake. But it sure made it fun.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hoping for a Rainbow

I'm really not sure if I ever thought this day would come. The day that I made it past 13 weeks pregnant without losing the baby. #miracle.  I know I am not out of the woods yet, and honestly, when are we really? I am just trying to live every day with gratitude for the life inside of me, living with hope for the future.  Part of me wanted to wait until next week, when I was past 14 weeks and officially in the 2nd trimester, but I couldn't wait any longer. I've been getting a little thick in the middle, which is getting more difficult to hide, and I feel like I haven't been able to be completely honest with friends when they would ask, "how are you doing?" All I wanted to talk about was how nauseous I was or how nervous I felt. So now, the news is out, whether or not you already suspected something was up.  Seriously though, the 1st trimester is not for the faint of heart! There were many instances when I thought I would lose the baby, but dee

I'm Pregnant! .....

...or so I thought. And you did too. Happy April Fools Day! I had been having baby dreams and feeling nauseous on and off during spring break, and I knew I would test immediately when I returned home from our road trip. The test was barely visible and I didn't believe it, so I said nothing to Marshall. That night I had a dream where the next pregnancy test I took was a solid double line. Well, two days after the first test, I got my obvious positive. I was so excited. Not knowing if it would be a good pregnancy or not, I tested again two days later and the line was darker, so I felt confident.  The past two pregnancies I miscarried at approximately 6 or 7 weeks both times, so I was pretty nervous about this one. What if it happened again? Would I be strong enough? Knowing that I needed extra strength and prayers, I asked roughly 40 of our family and closest friends to fast and pray with us on Easter Sunday. That Sunday I was on the top of the world. I felt so strong an

Grandpa is Always Right | Gender Reveal |

I was hanging out in our rental apartment in Salzburg, Austria with my sister when my dad walked out of his bedroom and announced that I was having a girl. I was only 11 weeks along at that point and while I was wishfully hoping for a girl, I was preparing myself for a boy. His strong conviction of the gender of our child without any hints from an ultrasound surprised me. My dad seems to always be right about things, so I secretly hoped he was right this time too. Today during my scan, my favorite sonographer announced that we were having a girl. Grandpa is always right. I never imagined our family starting with a baby boy. I don't know why, but a baby girl seems to fit just perfectly. Now I just have to keep calm and stay healthy for 19 more weeks.