Skip to main content

My Response to Richard Paul Evan's "How I Saved My Marriage" Article


For the past couple of days I have seen a handful of people link to and share the article, How I Saved My Marriage, by Richard Paul Evans on social media. While I normally ignore shared articles, I chose to read it because well, my dad emailed it to me. (Here I am 25 years old and still listening to my dad...)

The author describes for us his marriage of 30+ years, from the time when they used to fight constantly and built "emotional fortresses" around their hearts, to the turn-around point where they were both happy and "craved" the company of the other. How did this happen? Service and love. Evans explains how he realized one night when he was at his lowest point that he couldn't change his wife, he could only change himself. And so it began, this mentality of  service to his wife. For the first month he would begin each day by asking her, "How can I make your day better?" At first she was startled and didn't really know how to respond, but as the days past and she realized he was being sincere, she began to ask him the same question and their relationship was saved.

I've only been married for a little over 3 years but I can agree with Richard Paul Evans in his statement that "Marriage is hard." I love my husband. No, we don't hold grudges or fight and I don't think we have ever gone to bed angry at each other. However, I am not the easiest person to live with, yet Marshall always goes out of his way to serve me and put my needs before his own. I've got a lot to learn from his example!

Just this morning as I was washing up the breakfast dishes, the garbage disposal clogged up randomly and both sinks were filling with water. Marshall was headed out the door to catch the bus for school, but he stopped to see if he could help. He then spent the next 15 minutes under the sink, draining the clogged pipe just so that I could finish washing the dishes this morning. Consequently he missed the bus and had to ride his bike to school. The amazing thing is that he did not complain once. Not a sigh or a tone of disappointment. He just knew I needed help and so he dropped everything he was doing to help his wife out. Now that is service and love. If anything is going to keep a marriage together it is that. Of course his actions towards me made me feel guilty about being a teensy bit annoyed at all the water and debris left on my kitchen floor and under the sink...but like I said above, he is my exemplar and I have a lot to learn.

The point is, Richard Paul Evans is right. When we try to change the other person in any relationship, we will fail. It is only when we change ourselves and reach out to the other in love and service that our relationship, be it between a spouse, best friend, co-worker, child, or anyone else, is preserved. Marshall has always been a great example of thinking of me before himself.

Thank you darling. I love you. 

Comments

  1. Am so happy and thankful to God for what he has done in my life,i am
    Jennifer from U.S.A after four years of seeking for loan online the internet
    scammers has succeeded in taking from me the sum of $10,000.00 without
    given me my loan, I lost every thing i have because of scam and ever since
    i was scared to make contact online concerning loan. One day, as i was
    browsing , i saw a comment by a woman name Kathrine Roland from U.S.A
    thanking the Jackson Walton Loan Company for lending a loan saying that if
    there is any one who also need loan are to contact the company and they
    will surly lend any body loan so i took there email and i contacted them we
    had every agreement to pay back the loan and i submitted my bank account to
    them and they told i will receive my loan in 24 hours and to my greatest
    shock, exactly 24 hours, my bank send me an alert of confirmation that the
    Jackson Walton Loan Company has transfer my loan amount of $70,000.00
    dollars to my account am so happy and i want to use this medium to advice
    every one who is in need of loan or you have been scam in the past worry no
    more contact the very right company who can lend out loan on (
    Jacksonwaltonloancompany@gmail.com). and please beware of internet scams
    most of this email of lenders you see online are all scams so contact the
    Jackson Walton Loan Company because they are capable of given you your loan
    thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here, were you could change the cost of all faith.Do you need spiritual help, spell caster to cure all kind of diseases pregnancy spell, financial spell, business promotion spell, ex back spell, love spell, revenge spell, lupus and many more.Then you are welcome to my herbal home. DM ??for any spiritual help, contact me on WhatsApp: +38972751056 or Email:ededetemple@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. He restored my broken relationship just in 48 hours……My husband who Left me after 4 years of our marriage came back after some spiritual prayer was done on my husband, Email______________________ robinsonbucler @ g m a i l. c o m.....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hoping for a Rainbow

I'm really not sure if I ever thought this day would come. The day that I made it past 13 weeks pregnant without losing the baby. #miracle.  I know I am not out of the woods yet, and honestly, when are we really? I am just trying to live every day with gratitude for the life inside of me, living with hope for the future.  Part of me wanted to wait until next week, when I was past 14 weeks and officially in the 2nd trimester, but I couldn't wait any longer. I've been getting a little thick in the middle, which is getting more difficult to hide, and I feel like I haven't been able to be completely honest with friends when they would ask, "how are you doing?" All I wanted to talk about was how nauseous I was or how nervous I felt. So now, the news is out, whether or not you already suspected something was up.  Seriously though, the 1st trimester is not for the faint of heart! There were many instances when I thought I would lose the baby, but dee

I'm Pregnant! .....

...or so I thought. And you did too. Happy April Fools Day! I had been having baby dreams and feeling nauseous on and off during spring break, and I knew I would test immediately when I returned home from our road trip. The test was barely visible and I didn't believe it, so I said nothing to Marshall. That night I had a dream where the next pregnancy test I took was a solid double line. Well, two days after the first test, I got my obvious positive. I was so excited. Not knowing if it would be a good pregnancy or not, I tested again two days later and the line was darker, so I felt confident.  The past two pregnancies I miscarried at approximately 6 or 7 weeks both times, so I was pretty nervous about this one. What if it happened again? Would I be strong enough? Knowing that I needed extra strength and prayers, I asked roughly 40 of our family and closest friends to fast and pray with us on Easter Sunday. That Sunday I was on the top of the world. I felt so strong an

Grandpa is Always Right | Gender Reveal |

I was hanging out in our rental apartment in Salzburg, Austria with my sister when my dad walked out of his bedroom and announced that I was having a girl. I was only 11 weeks along at that point and while I was wishfully hoping for a girl, I was preparing myself for a boy. His strong conviction of the gender of our child without any hints from an ultrasound surprised me. My dad seems to always be right about things, so I secretly hoped he was right this time too. Today during my scan, my favorite sonographer announced that we were having a girl. Grandpa is always right. I never imagined our family starting with a baby boy. I don't know why, but a baby girl seems to fit just perfectly. Now I just have to keep calm and stay healthy for 19 more weeks.