Skip to main content

A Deeper Meaning of Love



Did you all have a good Valentine's Day? 

We had a great day together, even though we spent $0 on each other. Which is exactly how I like it, most especially due to our current financial situation; it was just perfect. Instead of flowers or chocolates, we gave each other our time.  The highlight of the day was going on a 45 minute bike ride! It was a sunny 30 degrees, so we took advantage of that and really had a great time. That's one perk of living here--the winters aren't constant. It has been nearly six months since we have ridden together and I sure missed it. When we returned home, I put my kitchen nerdiness to work and whipped up some heart shaped roasted beets and sweet potatoes with homemade herbed halibut yogurt dip. It really was delicious!


Before we headed out for the night, I went into the bathroom to get ready. When I walked in, the room smelled of lavender, and there were candles lit. Marshall had prepped it for me so that I would be able to get ready in a peaceful environment. What a sweet and thoughtful V-day gift! I love simplicity. 

For dinner we went to the Boy Scout fundraiser Valentine's Day dinner. We were seated at a table for two with a rose in the middle, and were waited on by awesome 12 to 14 year old boys. It was really neat.

Valentine's Day was a great day to reflect on love. This year it was nice to focus on the things that really matter, rather than the often fun and distracting monetary gifts. Loving my husband is easy. He really does so much for me. Sometimes I am too hard on  myself. I need to love myself more like I love my husband.  There have been a lot of changes in my life (isn't that always the case?), and with it can often come discouragement. But I will never give up. On my bathroom mirror I have written these words as an uplifting reminder of what is truly important:
"Beauty is not in the face.
Beauty is a light in the heart." 

<3 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hoping for a Rainbow

I'm really not sure if I ever thought this day would come. The day that I made it past 13 weeks pregnant without losing the baby. #miracle.  I know I am not out of the woods yet, and honestly, when are we really? I am just trying to live every day with gratitude for the life inside of me, living with hope for the future.  Part of me wanted to wait until next week, when I was past 14 weeks and officially in the 2nd trimester, but I couldn't wait any longer. I've been getting a little thick in the middle, which is getting more difficult to hide, and I feel like I haven't been able to be completely honest with friends when they would ask, "how are you doing?" All I wanted to talk about was how nauseous I was or how nervous I felt. So now, the news is out, whether or not you already suspected something was up.  Seriously though, the 1st trimester is not for the faint of heart! There were many instances when I thought I would lose the baby, but dee

I'm Pregnant! .....

...or so I thought. And you did too. Happy April Fools Day! I had been having baby dreams and feeling nauseous on and off during spring break, and I knew I would test immediately when I returned home from our road trip. The test was barely visible and I didn't believe it, so I said nothing to Marshall. That night I had a dream where the next pregnancy test I took was a solid double line. Well, two days after the first test, I got my obvious positive. I was so excited. Not knowing if it would be a good pregnancy or not, I tested again two days later and the line was darker, so I felt confident.  The past two pregnancies I miscarried at approximately 6 or 7 weeks both times, so I was pretty nervous about this one. What if it happened again? Would I be strong enough? Knowing that I needed extra strength and prayers, I asked roughly 40 of our family and closest friends to fast and pray with us on Easter Sunday. That Sunday I was on the top of the world. I felt so strong an

Grandpa is Always Right | Gender Reveal |

I was hanging out in our rental apartment in Salzburg, Austria with my sister when my dad walked out of his bedroom and announced that I was having a girl. I was only 11 weeks along at that point and while I was wishfully hoping for a girl, I was preparing myself for a boy. His strong conviction of the gender of our child without any hints from an ultrasound surprised me. My dad seems to always be right about things, so I secretly hoped he was right this time too. Today during my scan, my favorite sonographer announced that we were having a girl. Grandpa is always right. I never imagined our family starting with a baby boy. I don't know why, but a baby girl seems to fit just perfectly. Now I just have to keep calm and stay healthy for 19 more weeks.