Skip to main content

Enjoying the Last few Weeks of Alaska: Mt. Healy Overlook Trail

We are closing in on the final pages of the Alaska chapter of our life.  It has been a marvelous chapter, one that I am sad to be finishing. Yes, I am excited for the next chapter and its adventures, but this one has been so good to us. I can count the number of weeks we have left in my new favorite state on one hand. And yet, there are still enough weeks for some last-minute adventures! Hiking the Mount Healy Overlook Trail was one of them.

When my dad came to visit us a couple of weeks ago, we took a drive down to Denali National Park to hike around a bit and show him the fantastic scenery of interior Alaska. We hiked the Mt. Healy Overlook Trail because it was only about 4.5 miles roundtrip but had spectacular views we could enjoy at the top. 
It was pretty chilly when we started our hike at 2:30pm, Here I am, sporting my Arctic Winter Games gear!
The trail was 2.3 miles uphill, with a 25% grade. It wasn't long until we ditched our overcoats on the side of the trail. We were sweating! I made sure to thank my dad for teaching me how to hike when I was a kid. Now hiking is one of my favorite forms of exercise, next to cross country skiing. It took us about an hour and a half to hike up, given the fact that there was snow on the trail, but we flew down in half the time. 

I am not eloquent enough in my writing to express my gratitude for the chance I have had to live here. Never did I think I would have this opportunity. The future is a touch unnerving, so I keep reminding myself of Thomas S. Monson's inspiring words:

"The future is as bright as your faith." 
(Source)
At the top


I seriously love this guy. The fact that he still loves me to pieces after all I have put him through is saying a lot about his character!
My two loves. Marshall and Alaska.

Typical Marshall: always finding something to discover.



Daddy-o!

On the hike down


Comments

  1. Ok...I've totally tried to comment like 3 or 4 times now...I need to stop trying to use my phone for blog comments - I always lose them after I finish writing it! Basically though I said that I love your pictures from the top. :) And I totally agree with your comment about "typical Marshall" finding things to discover - that is SO him, and always has been! Glad your dad got to visit, love that you're remembering President Monson's quote, and I'm sorry you have to leave a place you love so much, but I'm so excited to have you closer! Love you, sis! You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting anyways!! I love it when you do. Ever since I changed the format of my blog, I can't seem to reply to specific comments...I should see if I can fix it somehow.

    Oh it would have been fun if you could have visited us while we were here. So many wonderful things!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hoping for a Rainbow

I'm really not sure if I ever thought this day would come. The day that I made it past 13 weeks pregnant without losing the baby. #miracle.  I know I am not out of the woods yet, and honestly, when are we really? I am just trying to live every day with gratitude for the life inside of me, living with hope for the future.  Part of me wanted to wait until next week, when I was past 14 weeks and officially in the 2nd trimester, but I couldn't wait any longer. I've been getting a little thick in the middle, which is getting more difficult to hide, and I feel like I haven't been able to be completely honest with friends when they would ask, "how are you doing?" All I wanted to talk about was how nauseous I was or how nervous I felt. So now, the news is out, whether or not you already suspected something was up.  Seriously though, the 1st trimester is not for the faint of heart! There were many instances when I thought I would lose the baby, but dee

I'm Pregnant! .....

...or so I thought. And you did too. Happy April Fools Day! I had been having baby dreams and feeling nauseous on and off during spring break, and I knew I would test immediately when I returned home from our road trip. The test was barely visible and I didn't believe it, so I said nothing to Marshall. That night I had a dream where the next pregnancy test I took was a solid double line. Well, two days after the first test, I got my obvious positive. I was so excited. Not knowing if it would be a good pregnancy or not, I tested again two days later and the line was darker, so I felt confident.  The past two pregnancies I miscarried at approximately 6 or 7 weeks both times, so I was pretty nervous about this one. What if it happened again? Would I be strong enough? Knowing that I needed extra strength and prayers, I asked roughly 40 of our family and closest friends to fast and pray with us on Easter Sunday. That Sunday I was on the top of the world. I felt so strong an

Grandpa is Always Right | Gender Reveal |

I was hanging out in our rental apartment in Salzburg, Austria with my sister when my dad walked out of his bedroom and announced that I was having a girl. I was only 11 weeks along at that point and while I was wishfully hoping for a girl, I was preparing myself for a boy. His strong conviction of the gender of our child without any hints from an ultrasound surprised me. My dad seems to always be right about things, so I secretly hoped he was right this time too. Today during my scan, my favorite sonographer announced that we were having a girl. Grandpa is always right. I never imagined our family starting with a baby boy. I don't know why, but a baby girl seems to fit just perfectly. Now I just have to keep calm and stay healthy for 19 more weeks.