Skip to main content

Welcome to Our Cabin!!

I hope that these pictures will tantalize you into wanting to come and visit us...you have about 4.5 months left...clock is ticking.

Anyways, on Monday I received an email from my dad, asking me when he would be able to see pictures of our cabin. I know, I know, we've been living here for two weeks already and I still haven't posted. Well here it is! It has been two solid weeks of adventures here in the Adams' cabin and in the surrounding playground we call Alaska, and we have yet to spend a weekend home. But now, I finally feel like we are moved in.

Now let's get on with the tour! I hope you enjoy the quirks as much as we do :).

As you drive onto our road, you may pass a flock of geese, some dogs in neighbors' yards, or maybe even a cute piglet just oinking around his owner's driveway. Seriously the cutest thing ever.

Up our driveway you turn...

...Until you reach our lovely home! 


Our cabin is two separate buildings, combined with a covered walkway. 

It took me a while to get used to sleeping in a separate building than the bathroom. But I didn't want our bed to be in the main living cabin so this was the next best option. I am used to it now, and make sure to keep a cleanly swept back porch so that I can walk barefoot in the early morning between rooms without getting my feet all dirty.

Honestly, it is kind of nice having a separate bedroom. I have made a personal rule that there is no internet use while in there. My phone goes on airplane mode whenever I go in for bedtime. It is nice to have a break from the world every evening.

Our bedroom


Our office space
Cabin quirk #1: Murphy bed built by the owner. I thought Murphy beds were supposed to hide from being noticed. Well, this one doesn't really do the job. It sure makes for a lovely head board, don't you think? hehe

Cabin quirk #2: The floors are all laminate and I don't want to buy expensive rugs or carpeting since we are only living here for a short time. I really just haven't had the time to go look for anything. So we put a quilt on the floor next to the bed. It helps with cold feet and makes it easier to kneel and pray but the color scheme and pattern with the bedspread is...um...well it could use some help!



We are not on city water, but we do have running water. Only it is from a 1000 gallon water tank outside our cabin.  This is the first time in my life where I have been conscientious about my water usage. These days, all of my showers during the weekdays are taken at the gym.



While we may have cut back on some conveniences such as "free" water and a bathroom next to our bedroom, we did improve with the kitchen. I have so much more space and better lighting in this kitchen. Since I spend most of my time at home in the kitchen, this was a huge bonus.
I made sure to leave the dishes in the drying rack so that you could tell I actually live and cook here.
Our lovely deep freeze full of fresh wild fish!
My favorite cookbooks now have a place in the kitchen. Love it.
Onto the living room. I love that we have a washer and dryer in our home now! It makes it so much easier to throw a load in and get it done. I also love that I have a shelf for my dehydrator.


Houses are not complete without pictures on the wall.



Or places to remind each other why you love him/her!


I also should note that we have more cabinet space in our bathroom. A definite plus!



Finally, we have a backyard. And a garage. My husband is happy! I am so excited for snow because there are cross country ski trails beginning in our literal backyard. So much fun!



And that concludes our tour. I hope you enjoyed it :).

Comments

  1. I love the tour! Such a fun cabin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Isn't it so nice to be in a place that really feels like home instead of an apartment?? Love the pictures - and hooray for real kitchens! :) So happy for you that you were able to find such an awesome place for your last few months in Alaska! And I SUPER wish we could afford to come visit you - that would be AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't it though? I am SO happy we could come see you and Gabe at your place. It makes me feel like I actually know you two as a couple now. We'll be so much closer when we live in Texas though!

      Delete
    2. Texas?? Did Marshall get his orders then? (or whatever they're called) :P Where in Texas? Also...basically anywhere (in the US) will be closer than Alaska! haha :)

      Delete
    3. Not his official orders, but that is where we are projected to go next. We're being as optimistic as possible!

      Delete
  3. My comment got deleted! Ahhh! I loved the tour! That is so gorgeous! It looks like an amazing adventure! I miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Haha thanks!! I was wondering who Me was :). I am glad you like it from the pictures. We sure do. I hope you're doing well!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hoping for a Rainbow

I'm really not sure if I ever thought this day would come. The day that I made it past 13 weeks pregnant without losing the baby. #miracle.  I know I am not out of the woods yet, and honestly, when are we really? I am just trying to live every day with gratitude for the life inside of me, living with hope for the future.  Part of me wanted to wait until next week, when I was past 14 weeks and officially in the 2nd trimester, but I couldn't wait any longer. I've been getting a little thick in the middle, which is getting more difficult to hide, and I feel like I haven't been able to be completely honest with friends when they would ask, "how are you doing?" All I wanted to talk about was how nauseous I was or how nervous I felt. So now, the news is out, whether or not you already suspected something was up.  Seriously though, the 1st trimester is not for the faint of heart! There were many instances when I thought I would lose the baby, but dee

I'm Pregnant! .....

...or so I thought. And you did too. Happy April Fools Day! I had been having baby dreams and feeling nauseous on and off during spring break, and I knew I would test immediately when I returned home from our road trip. The test was barely visible and I didn't believe it, so I said nothing to Marshall. That night I had a dream where the next pregnancy test I took was a solid double line. Well, two days after the first test, I got my obvious positive. I was so excited. Not knowing if it would be a good pregnancy or not, I tested again two days later and the line was darker, so I felt confident.  The past two pregnancies I miscarried at approximately 6 or 7 weeks both times, so I was pretty nervous about this one. What if it happened again? Would I be strong enough? Knowing that I needed extra strength and prayers, I asked roughly 40 of our family and closest friends to fast and pray with us on Easter Sunday. That Sunday I was on the top of the world. I felt so strong an

Grandpa is Always Right | Gender Reveal |

I was hanging out in our rental apartment in Salzburg, Austria with my sister when my dad walked out of his bedroom and announced that I was having a girl. I was only 11 weeks along at that point and while I was wishfully hoping for a girl, I was preparing myself for a boy. His strong conviction of the gender of our child without any hints from an ultrasound surprised me. My dad seems to always be right about things, so I secretly hoped he was right this time too. Today during my scan, my favorite sonographer announced that we were having a girl. Grandpa is always right. I never imagined our family starting with a baby boy. I don't know why, but a baby girl seems to fit just perfectly. Now I just have to keep calm and stay healthy for 19 more weeks.