Skip to main content

Early Morning is 'Me' Time

This is my backyard. If I would have slept in, I would have missed this beautiful moment in time. 

4:15am. That is what time my body said, "wake up!" 

Really? 

On a Sunday?

(I don't know if I should blame the morning sun. I am living in Alaska after all.)

In all honesty, I need to show my gratitude for this. My body is naturally wired to being alert in the early hours, as opposed to after 8pm. Since my husband is three hours ahead of me right now, I knew I could talk to him without it being insanely early for him. Hearing his voice was very therapeutic because while I still wanted to sleep, I didn't feel tired nor did I feel like getting up and being productive.  Productivity can begin after 5:30.

But why would anyone in her right mind be grateful for waking up early? Here are my reasons:

1). The rest of the world is quiet. So I can hear myself think and ponder. Reading, studying, and praying in the early morning is more productive for me because I haven't been pulled in a million directions yet by the things of life. I was able to prepare my nursery lesson and actually color the pictures for the game, instead of just throwing something together at the last minute. 

2). The morning sun is so promising. There really is nothing quite like the morning sun shining bright. It reminds me that it is a new day. A new day to begin again! Yesterday is gone and tomorrow is not yet here, but today is beautiful. This morning sun adds to my ability to ponder and reflect more clearly.  

From the back side of the lake. Fairbanks is gorgeous in the summer!
3). Nature and animals wake up with the sun. I remember when I was six and spent Christmas in Guam. There was a loud parrot in the front lobby of the hotel we were staying at, and the owners would take off its blanket from the cage at sunrise. That parrot was our alarm clock and it was pretty obnoxious. The only way to mitigate the annoyance of loud morning animals is to wake up with them.  It also makes morning walks so much more comical. Today I heard squirrels and birds just making all kinds of noises during my walk. You often miss this when the rest of the world wakes up and starts making noise.

4). I have more time! Seriously. I love to get a handful of things done, yet still have time to think and ponder, read and pray, prepare for the day's activities, and do yoga!  When I sleep in, I often don't have time to do yoga because I have to attend to my duties. Time is such a precious commodity. 

While I wouldn't ask to wake up at 4:15am every morning, I did enjoy the time I had for myself this morning. 

Now I think it is time for a nap. :) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hoping for a Rainbow

I'm really not sure if I ever thought this day would come. The day that I made it past 13 weeks pregnant without losing the baby. #miracle.  I know I am not out of the woods yet, and honestly, when are we really? I am just trying to live every day with gratitude for the life inside of me, living with hope for the future.  Part of me wanted to wait until next week, when I was past 14 weeks and officially in the 2nd trimester, but I couldn't wait any longer. I've been getting a little thick in the middle, which is getting more difficult to hide, and I feel like I haven't been able to be completely honest with friends when they would ask, "how are you doing?" All I wanted to talk about was how nauseous I was or how nervous I felt. So now, the news is out, whether or not you already suspected something was up.  Seriously though, the 1st trimester is not for the faint of heart! There were many instances when I thought I would lose the baby, but dee

I'm Pregnant! .....

...or so I thought. And you did too. Happy April Fools Day! I had been having baby dreams and feeling nauseous on and off during spring break, and I knew I would test immediately when I returned home from our road trip. The test was barely visible and I didn't believe it, so I said nothing to Marshall. That night I had a dream where the next pregnancy test I took was a solid double line. Well, two days after the first test, I got my obvious positive. I was so excited. Not knowing if it would be a good pregnancy or not, I tested again two days later and the line was darker, so I felt confident.  The past two pregnancies I miscarried at approximately 6 or 7 weeks both times, so I was pretty nervous about this one. What if it happened again? Would I be strong enough? Knowing that I needed extra strength and prayers, I asked roughly 40 of our family and closest friends to fast and pray with us on Easter Sunday. That Sunday I was on the top of the world. I felt so strong an

Grandpa is Always Right | Gender Reveal |

I was hanging out in our rental apartment in Salzburg, Austria with my sister when my dad walked out of his bedroom and announced that I was having a girl. I was only 11 weeks along at that point and while I was wishfully hoping for a girl, I was preparing myself for a boy. His strong conviction of the gender of our child without any hints from an ultrasound surprised me. My dad seems to always be right about things, so I secretly hoped he was right this time too. Today during my scan, my favorite sonographer announced that we were having a girl. Grandpa is always right. I never imagined our family starting with a baby boy. I don't know why, but a baby girl seems to fit just perfectly. Now I just have to keep calm and stay healthy for 19 more weeks.