Skip to main content

Doing Hard Things: our 5K Race

I love running. My summer running schedule has really changed a lot from what I was planning on earlier this spring, due to a whole host of things including a knee injury in early May and lots of traveling to skating events.

I felt a LOT better after the race!


Either way, I am pleased with my efforts to stay active and healthy, even if that means supplementing my running with swimming, strength training, walking, hiking, and biking (and actually, I highly recommend varying the training you do, so that you can work all your muscles and prevent injury and boredom).
Marshall did awesome, and came in at 20:11 and second place overall!

Saturday was Ft. Wainwright's annual Ice Cream Skedaddle 5K, where they feed you ice cream after you run. Not a bad deal, right? The other awesome thing is that it is free.  I wrote the date on our calendar right when I found out about it and I was really excited because I would actually be in town for it, but then realized that it was just three days after a scheduled surgery on Wednesday. I was still going to do it, anyways!

Everything went well with the procedure; it was no big deal, but I did have to recover from the anesthesia, which really affected by body a lot more than I thought it would.  Needless to say, Thursday and Friday were pretty emotional days, and all I could muster on Friday was an extremely slow 4 mile jog.  Saturday morning rolled around, and my stomach still hurt and I was just exhausted.  Marshall kept encouraging me, especially since I ran the day before without stopping.  I knew I could do it, even if it meant I would walk part of the way.  The hardest part for me was to not try and get my best time.  I had to force myself to "enjoy" the run, and not focus on the race. I didn't want to hurt my body.

It was a beautiful day for the race.  During our warm up jog, I felt like I was going to throw up.  As we lined up at the starting line, I said, "This is the hardest run I've ever done." Marshall then replied,  "Is it harder than the Shamrock Shuffle back in March?"  I then recalled the 5K we ran on March 23rd with ice and snow on the ground and a wind chill of -15 degrees F. "Okay, no, I guess you're right."  Then the gun went off and I was off!

I actually felt pretty good, besides the small ache in my abdomen.  I told Marshall that he had to run his best, and not worry about me. I kept him in my sights. During the entire race, I focused on my own rhythm, and not anyone else.  This was a big deal for me, as I am so competitive! At the half-way point I started to push a little bit harder and even passed a few guys (and had a little party in my head!).  When I crossed the finish line, the clock said 20:52.  Not bad. Not bad at all. No, it wasn't a personal best. But it was a gosh darn awesome job on my part! As I crossed the line I shouted, "Take that surgery!"


The saddest part of the event was that when I finished, I had no appetite for ice cream, my favorite treat.  I let Marshall eat mine for me, haha.

I learned a lot from this experience. First, stop comparing myself with others, dang it! I am awesome. I have wonderful friends and a great husband who loves me because I am me. I am just pleased with myself for doing something hard, despite not feeling up to it.  

Second, I can do hard things! I cried before the start of the race. I just did not feel well. But I stuck through it and won second place.

Third, running is medicine for me. Even if I had walked it, exercise helps me heal emotionally and physically.

Thank you, Marshall and all of my friends, for encouraging me to my best self!

Comments

  1. You are my hero! You totally ROCK Jenessa!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenessa, you do ROCK. And you only have a Marshall because you deserve a Marshall! And he deserves a Jenessa :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenessa! I had no idea you had to have surgery, but I'm very glad that it was simple and went so well. You are AMAZING to have pushed yourself to run that 5k! As I've said before, you and Marshall are so perfect for each other. He knew you would want him to encourage you and push you rather than say he was sorry that it's understandable for you to not run. (That's what I would want! :P) I'm glad it ended up being such a learning experience for you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hoping for a Rainbow

I'm really not sure if I ever thought this day would come. The day that I made it past 13 weeks pregnant without losing the baby. #miracle.  I know I am not out of the woods yet, and honestly, when are we really? I am just trying to live every day with gratitude for the life inside of me, living with hope for the future.  Part of me wanted to wait until next week, when I was past 14 weeks and officially in the 2nd trimester, but I couldn't wait any longer. I've been getting a little thick in the middle, which is getting more difficult to hide, and I feel like I haven't been able to be completely honest with friends when they would ask, "how are you doing?" All I wanted to talk about was how nauseous I was or how nervous I felt. So now, the news is out, whether or not you already suspected something was up.  Seriously though, the 1st trimester is not for the faint of heart! There were many instances when I thought I would lose the baby, but dee

I'm Pregnant! .....

...or so I thought. And you did too. Happy April Fools Day! I had been having baby dreams and feeling nauseous on and off during spring break, and I knew I would test immediately when I returned home from our road trip. The test was barely visible and I didn't believe it, so I said nothing to Marshall. That night I had a dream where the next pregnancy test I took was a solid double line. Well, two days after the first test, I got my obvious positive. I was so excited. Not knowing if it would be a good pregnancy or not, I tested again two days later and the line was darker, so I felt confident.  The past two pregnancies I miscarried at approximately 6 or 7 weeks both times, so I was pretty nervous about this one. What if it happened again? Would I be strong enough? Knowing that I needed extra strength and prayers, I asked roughly 40 of our family and closest friends to fast and pray with us on Easter Sunday. That Sunday I was on the top of the world. I felt so strong an

Grandpa is Always Right | Gender Reveal |

I was hanging out in our rental apartment in Salzburg, Austria with my sister when my dad walked out of his bedroom and announced that I was having a girl. I was only 11 weeks along at that point and while I was wishfully hoping for a girl, I was preparing myself for a boy. His strong conviction of the gender of our child without any hints from an ultrasound surprised me. My dad seems to always be right about things, so I secretly hoped he was right this time too. Today during my scan, my favorite sonographer announced that we were having a girl. Grandpa is always right. I never imagined our family starting with a baby boy. I don't know why, but a baby girl seems to fit just perfectly. Now I just have to keep calm and stay healthy for 19 more weeks.