Skip to main content

A Perfect 23rd Birthday

On Monday the nation Celebrated Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday, but I celebrated my 23rd birthday. I loved that my husband had the day off from work! I still can't believe I am 23.  I know that's not old by any means, but when I realized that I was 20 years older than the toddlers I coach at Learn-to-Skate, I knew I wasn't a kid anymore!

I was spoiled on Monday. It made me feel so special when I walked out to go to the car and saw a pathway shoveled for me from the sidewalk to my car door.  It's the small things that matter :)

Marshall and I decided to celebrate by going to Chena Hot Springs, which is about 60 miles northeast of Fairbanks. We got out there by 11 am and enjoyed the hot springs until 1:30.  I was so glad it was a warm day (about 10 degrees Fahrenheit), because we had to walk outside in our swim suits and bare feet to get to the rock pool...but the reward of wading into the hot water was so worth it!

If you look closely, you can see white hairs on my head...
those aren't gray hairs, they're just frozen :)


I have never been in a hot springs before, but I understand why people like it so much.  I felt so relaxed; more so than I have in a very long time.  I think I needed the special treatment!

For lunch I made California rolls--they're perfect for a picnic lunch because they do not need refrigeration, there's no mess, they're bite-sized, and best of all, they are tasty!  I didn't realize this when I made them, but it went right along with the theme of the hot springs, because there were signs everywhere that were translated in Japanese. (Thanks for teaching me how to make them mom!)

Yep, those Japanese love hot springs. I felt right at home! (I thought of you Dad, [+Tom Whipple] when I saw the Japanese signs!)



We got back home at 4:30, and friends came over at 7 for dessert.  I love reasons to have people over, and a dessert night was a great excuse!  I made homemade apple crisp and homemade vanilla ice cream (recipes follow).  They tasted amazing.  I will definitely be making them again!  We had 9 people come over, which was a good number for our small apartment :).  Janye brought over yummy fudge, and Hannah made a moist lemon cake.  Seriously, my friends are amazing.  The picture below was taken for my family because we always took cake pictures growing up.  And I still look like I am 18...

My 23rd birthday was perfect.  I am so blessed to have a loving husband, wonderful friends, and a nice home in beautiful Alaska.  May this year be the best yet!

There are only 5 candles, but if you
look carefully, it says "23"...


Apple Crisp (from America's Test Kitchen):

Topping:
3/4 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup pecans, chopped fine
3/4 cup old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp table salt
8 Tbsp (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted

Filling:
3 pounds Golden Delicious Apples (about 7 medium), peeled, cored, halved, and cut into 1/2 inch thick wedges
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup apple cider
2 tsp juice from 1 lemon
2 Tbsp unsalted butter

For the topping:
Adust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 450 degrees F. Combine the flour, pecans, oats, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl.  Stir in the butter until mixture is thoroughly moistened and crumbly.  Set aside while preparing the fruit filling. 

For the filling:
Toss the apples, sugar, and cinnamon together in a large bowl; set aside. Bring the cider to a simmer in a 12 inch ovensafe skillet over medium heat; cook until reduced to 1/2 cup, about 5 minutes.  Transfer the reduced cider to a bowl or liquid measuring cup; stir in the lemon juice and set aside. 

Heat the butter itn the now empty skillet over medium heat.  When the foaming subsides, add the apple mixture and cook, stirring frequently, until the apples are beginning to soften and become translucent,  12 to 14 minutes. (Do not fully cook the apples).  Remove the pan from the heat and gently stir in the cider mixutre until the apples are coated. 

Sprinkle the topping evenly over the fruit, breaking up any large chunks.  Place the skillet on a baking sheet and bake until the fruit is tender and the topping is deep golded brown, 15-20 minutes (If your skillet is not ovensafe, transfer the apples to a 9X13 inch pan before adding the topping and bake an additional 5 minutes). Cool on a wire rack until warm, at least 15 minutes, and serve.


Vanilla Ice Cream (Cuisinart):
1 cup whole milk (I used 1%) *update: I do not suggest using anything other than whole milk, raw if possible.
3/4 cup sugar
pinch of salt
2 cups heavy cream 
1 Tbsp vanilla extract

In a medium bowl, use a hand mixer on low speed or a whisk to combine the milk, sugar, and salt until the sugar is dissolved.  Stir in the cream and vanilla.  Cover and refrigerate 1-2 hours or overnight. 

Turn on ice cream maker and pour the mixture into the frozen freezer bowl and let mix until thickened, about 15-20 minutes.  Transfer the ice cream to an airtight container and freeze for about 2 hours for a firmer consistency.  

Comments

  1. So fun! Were the candles by chance Marshall's idea? Haha, that is too funny. I'm glad you had such a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was his idea, mainly because we only had like 15 candles in our box... :-)

      Delete
  2. What a blast! That second picture is so crazy cool. I'm glad you had a great birthday! And I'm glad you post recipes so I can try them out too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, the candles sound like a marshall thing. Cute, I sure love that boy. And seriously, you guys are getting some AMAZING memories from Alaska. Keep the pictures coming. I sure miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that close up shot in the rock pool! You look so beautiful, frozen hair and all!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hoping for a Rainbow

I'm really not sure if I ever thought this day would come. The day that I made it past 13 weeks pregnant without losing the baby. #miracle.  I know I am not out of the woods yet, and honestly, when are we really? I am just trying to live every day with gratitude for the life inside of me, living with hope for the future.  Part of me wanted to wait until next week, when I was past 14 weeks and officially in the 2nd trimester, but I couldn't wait any longer. I've been getting a little thick in the middle, which is getting more difficult to hide, and I feel like I haven't been able to be completely honest with friends when they would ask, "how are you doing?" All I wanted to talk about was how nauseous I was or how nervous I felt. So now, the news is out, whether or not you already suspected something was up.  Seriously though, the 1st trimester is not for the faint of heart! There were many instances when I thought I would lose the baby, but dee

I'm Pregnant! .....

...or so I thought. And you did too. Happy April Fools Day! I had been having baby dreams and feeling nauseous on and off during spring break, and I knew I would test immediately when I returned home from our road trip. The test was barely visible and I didn't believe it, so I said nothing to Marshall. That night I had a dream where the next pregnancy test I took was a solid double line. Well, two days after the first test, I got my obvious positive. I was so excited. Not knowing if it would be a good pregnancy or not, I tested again two days later and the line was darker, so I felt confident.  The past two pregnancies I miscarried at approximately 6 or 7 weeks both times, so I was pretty nervous about this one. What if it happened again? Would I be strong enough? Knowing that I needed extra strength and prayers, I asked roughly 40 of our family and closest friends to fast and pray with us on Easter Sunday. That Sunday I was on the top of the world. I felt so strong an

Grandpa is Always Right | Gender Reveal |

I was hanging out in our rental apartment in Salzburg, Austria with my sister when my dad walked out of his bedroom and announced that I was having a girl. I was only 11 weeks along at that point and while I was wishfully hoping for a girl, I was preparing myself for a boy. His strong conviction of the gender of our child without any hints from an ultrasound surprised me. My dad seems to always be right about things, so I secretly hoped he was right this time too. Today during my scan, my favorite sonographer announced that we were having a girl. Grandpa is always right. I never imagined our family starting with a baby boy. I don't know why, but a baby girl seems to fit just perfectly. Now I just have to keep calm and stay healthy for 19 more weeks.