Skip to main content

The Other Side of Things

(Just a random picture from July at a church BBQ & 5K)
Compared to many couples, I feel like Marshall and I are pretty traditional. On the one hand, he goes to work everyday, makes sure the cars are running properly, works with the youth in our church, and still has time to open the door for me and tell me he loves me. I, on the other hand, only coach ice skating part time so that I have time to make breakfast, lunch, and dinner for him, keep the house & laundry tidy, and to be available whenever he may need me. I probably should add a disclaimer here: Marshall is by no means incompetent of taking care of himself. We see our roles as husband and wife as separate but equal. I could work full time if I wanted to, and he would support me. Some might think I should be furthering my career because we don't have children yet, but I have thought long and hard about my working full time, and feel like it would not strengthen our marriage if I had a full time job. That said, I love being a "housewife" who also coaches part time (and I still get to use what I learned from college).  I like that I can take care of my husband's needs so that he can have the energy and time to further his career and make himself the best soldier he can be. It is tiring working full time and doing everything else! So I'm glad I can help him.

Well, on Tuesday, August 28, 2012, I worked at the polls for the Alaskan state primaries. I only saw him at 5:30am when he left for work, and I didn't come home until 9pm. I really enjoyed working with the ladies at the polls, serving my community (though I did get paid), and doing something a little bit different. However, we were SO excited to see each other that night!! Usually I have dinner planned for him when he gets home from work, but this time, he had made a delicious dinner, set the table, and had all the dishes from the day washed. WOW!

He prepared chicken with a homemade dill sauce, seasoned jasmine rice, veggies, and grapes. It was so tasty, but even more so because I didn't have to make it! I never quite understood why moms loved it when their kids made dinner for them. But now I do! During dinner he had commented how it wasn't exactly how he had hoped it would taste, and that it was just mediocre. I didn't think anything of the sort. And then he pointed out to me that I was feeling exactly what he feels every day. I am too critical about my cooking (something I am working on) and often apologize for it not being perfect. Well on this night, I understood why it isn't good to be critical. This is what Marshall told me: "you are serving me by making me dinner. How can I be upset at you if you are serving me?" Ya, I guess I don't need to always apologize for my meals! It would have driven me crazy if he had been so critical about the dinner he had made that night. It was so good, and felt so good to not have to think about what I would prepare for dinner at 9pm after working nearly 15 hours.

I learn so much every day! I marvel that my dear husband still is so patient with me, and for that I am grateful. Being a wife is such a wonderful and challenging task, and I am grateful I finally had the chance to understand how it feels to be in Marshall's shoes.

From this experience, I have set a new goal: be more positive and allow myself to make mistakes. :-)
And... 
Remember to look at a situation from another person's perspective.

Comments

  1. We sure love you Jenessa! And we love reading these little glimpses into your and Marshall's life together.
    Love you lots,
    Mom and dad Adams

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hoping for a Rainbow

I'm really not sure if I ever thought this day would come. The day that I made it past 13 weeks pregnant without losing the baby. #miracle.  I know I am not out of the woods yet, and honestly, when are we really? I am just trying to live every day with gratitude for the life inside of me, living with hope for the future.  Part of me wanted to wait until next week, when I was past 14 weeks and officially in the 2nd trimester, but I couldn't wait any longer. I've been getting a little thick in the middle, which is getting more difficult to hide, and I feel like I haven't been able to be completely honest with friends when they would ask, "how are you doing?" All I wanted to talk about was how nauseous I was or how nervous I felt. So now, the news is out, whether or not you already suspected something was up.  Seriously though, the 1st trimester is not for the faint of heart! There were many instances when I thought I would lose the baby, but dee

I'm Pregnant! .....

...or so I thought. And you did too. Happy April Fools Day! I had been having baby dreams and feeling nauseous on and off during spring break, and I knew I would test immediately when I returned home from our road trip. The test was barely visible and I didn't believe it, so I said nothing to Marshall. That night I had a dream where the next pregnancy test I took was a solid double line. Well, two days after the first test, I got my obvious positive. I was so excited. Not knowing if it would be a good pregnancy or not, I tested again two days later and the line was darker, so I felt confident.  The past two pregnancies I miscarried at approximately 6 or 7 weeks both times, so I was pretty nervous about this one. What if it happened again? Would I be strong enough? Knowing that I needed extra strength and prayers, I asked roughly 40 of our family and closest friends to fast and pray with us on Easter Sunday. That Sunday I was on the top of the world. I felt so strong an

Grandpa is Always Right | Gender Reveal |

I was hanging out in our rental apartment in Salzburg, Austria with my sister when my dad walked out of his bedroom and announced that I was having a girl. I was only 11 weeks along at that point and while I was wishfully hoping for a girl, I was preparing myself for a boy. His strong conviction of the gender of our child without any hints from an ultrasound surprised me. My dad seems to always be right about things, so I secretly hoped he was right this time too. Today during my scan, my favorite sonographer announced that we were having a girl. Grandpa is always right. I never imagined our family starting with a baby boy. I don't know why, but a baby girl seems to fit just perfectly. Now I just have to keep calm and stay healthy for 19 more weeks.