Skip to main content

Backpacking, Bears, and Blueberries


Don't mind the crooked picture. The rock obviously needs to practice his photography skills!

The weekend forecasted temperatures in the mid to high-70s.  Yes, summer decided to stay for at least one more weekend, so we had to take advantage of it.  Only in Alaska do you take advantage of every summery moment, and dread winter when it is only August 10th, while those in the lower 48 are suffering the worst drought the United States has seen in years.


So after work on Friday afternoon, we drove an hour north of Fairbanks to the Chena Recreation area and began our 15 mile hike of Granite Tors.  We made it an overnight backpacking trip so that we would be able to enjoy ourselves a little more.  This was my first backpacking trip in about 5 years, so I was pretty excited.  Lucky for me, my husband is a stud when it comes to camping/hiking stuff, and he packed my pack for me, so I didn't have to worry about it. 15 miles may not seem like a lot for a hike, but it was basically all uphill on Friday.  It was a challenge, and the fact that I was dripping sweat during the climb proved it, for I really don't drip sweat very easily! The best part about the hike up the hill was stopping every once in a while and turning around to look at the vast skyline and never ending rows of mountains.  You seriously could get lost out there! 


The mountains really just go on and on!

I was doing great until about 9pm.  We hadn't eaten dinner yet, and we had been hiking uphill for 3.5 hours.  We were only about 20 minutes away from where we were going to stay the night, so we kept on going.  It's a good thing we were almost done because Marshall looked back at me and saw that I was swaying as I walked.  I think my body needed some dinner!  We ate a couple of those freeze-dried dinners, but I have to admit that I was snacking on some of the pieces as we waited for the water to boil to cook the food.  I never knew freeze-dried zucchini and chicken could be so good! I think I was just REALLY hungry. 




From this view, you can't see how big the rock is...

And to think I actually let him climb to the top :) I guess I couldn't resist.



I slept pretty lousy because the temperatures dropped to probably the high 30s.  At least it felt that way.  I woke up in the night, crying because my toes were so cold. Marshall was so caring that he calmly taught me what I needed to do to warm them up in my sleeping bag.  I ended up not waking up until 10:30, when the sun was already high in the sky again and had warmed my face.  And as soon as I woke up, Marshall brought me over a hot bowl of peach cream oatmeal and then made me french vanilla hot cocoa.  That's what I call a wonderful breakfast in bed!

The second half of the hike on Saturday was nice, but not too eventful.  Except for the fact that we passed a guy who had come into close proximity of a bear a few miles previously to meeting us.  After hearing about that, I made sure Marshall, who had the bear spray, led the way. 




We were even able to pick blueberries for an hour, and got enough berries to make 9 cups of homemade blueberry jam.  I wish we were able to get more, because the jam is to die for!

Alaska really is a beautiful place.  How grateful I am for a healthy body so that I can just get up and hike 15 miles at my leisure.  And if anyone comes to visit, we will be more than happy to go on hikes with you so that you too can grasp how beautiful interior Alaska truly is!


I love the view of the tors in the distance.
I also love that our feet are in the picture because then
it isn't just a scenic shot!





Comments

  1. 15 miles is like...yeah way too much for me hahaha
    I'd be dead after 1. Lol!

    Sounds like a beautiful place tho! Wish I could be there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you could do it silly!Especially since you can just go at whatever pace you want to. It is a beautiful place, and I would love to see you! Gosh, it's been forever since I have seen you. Probably like when we were in YW or something :) Crazy

      Delete
  2. We loved hearing about your fun adventure. I knew Joseph would love reading it to. So I copied it and sent it to him. Pictures of you and Marshall always bring a smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you sent him a copy. Thanks for being such a great dad!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hoping for a Rainbow

I'm really not sure if I ever thought this day would come. The day that I made it past 13 weeks pregnant without losing the baby. #miracle.  I know I am not out of the woods yet, and honestly, when are we really? I am just trying to live every day with gratitude for the life inside of me, living with hope for the future.  Part of me wanted to wait until next week, when I was past 14 weeks and officially in the 2nd trimester, but I couldn't wait any longer. I've been getting a little thick in the middle, which is getting more difficult to hide, and I feel like I haven't been able to be completely honest with friends when they would ask, "how are you doing?" All I wanted to talk about was how nauseous I was or how nervous I felt. So now, the news is out, whether or not you already suspected something was up.  Seriously though, the 1st trimester is not for the faint of heart! There were many instances when I thought I would lose the baby, but dee

I'm Pregnant! .....

...or so I thought. And you did too. Happy April Fools Day! I had been having baby dreams and feeling nauseous on and off during spring break, and I knew I would test immediately when I returned home from our road trip. The test was barely visible and I didn't believe it, so I said nothing to Marshall. That night I had a dream where the next pregnancy test I took was a solid double line. Well, two days after the first test, I got my obvious positive. I was so excited. Not knowing if it would be a good pregnancy or not, I tested again two days later and the line was darker, so I felt confident.  The past two pregnancies I miscarried at approximately 6 or 7 weeks both times, so I was pretty nervous about this one. What if it happened again? Would I be strong enough? Knowing that I needed extra strength and prayers, I asked roughly 40 of our family and closest friends to fast and pray with us on Easter Sunday. That Sunday I was on the top of the world. I felt so strong an

Grandpa is Always Right | Gender Reveal |

I was hanging out in our rental apartment in Salzburg, Austria with my sister when my dad walked out of his bedroom and announced that I was having a girl. I was only 11 weeks along at that point and while I was wishfully hoping for a girl, I was preparing myself for a boy. His strong conviction of the gender of our child without any hints from an ultrasound surprised me. My dad seems to always be right about things, so I secretly hoped he was right this time too. Today during my scan, my favorite sonographer announced that we were having a girl. Grandpa is always right. I never imagined our family starting with a baby boy. I don't know why, but a baby girl seems to fit just perfectly. Now I just have to keep calm and stay healthy for 19 more weeks.