Skip to main content

I Don't Want Another Baby





I woke up one day in January, feeling a sense of urgency to have another child. My baby was 10 months old. It took us 5 years to get her here, so a part of me thought we should start trying ASAP because of my unpredictable fertility.

For a few weeks, I fought an internal battle about my choice to breastfeed for a year. Nursing isn't technically birth control, but in my case, it was a pretty good bet. I felt guilty for wanting to go to a year because what if I was preventing another baby to come sooner? Was it wrong for me to want to nurse my miracle baby for a year, thus making the possibility of baby #2 come later? But then if I stopped nursing her before I year, was I withholding some sort of bonding or nutrition opportunity from her? For weeks I tossed these thoughts around, seeking advice and wisdom from trusted friends and family.

I soon came to the realization that I loved nursing. I didn't want to stop. I felt peace when I nursed my daughter and I had made the goal to nurse for a year, and that was what I would do. I knew God knew what I desired and I knew that because I felt peace about my decision to continue nursing for what ended up being 13 months, I was making the right decision.

But then the hormonal whirlwind came. I didn't realize there would be such a dramatic flux after weaning. I gained the weight back that I had lost due to my daughter "sucking the life out of me," as my husband called it, for 13 months. This gain was welcomed by me because I knew I needed it, but it also triggered a pretty significant mental relapse to where I was 3 years ago when I was recovering from my restrictive eating disorder of 8 years.

Throughout these 3 months since weaning, I have worked hard to wade through these emotions. All I could think about was the necessity of getting pregnant again. I felt like it was my fault for nursing for so long. I felt like it was my fault for having had a history of an eating disorder, causing my history of infertility. I felt like it was my fault I wasn't able to give my husband/parents/in-laws a whole bunch of adorable kids. I felt old.

But these were all lies. And I was tired of telling them to myself. I was tired of feeling inferior. So many tears. So many lies.


I wanted to let go. To enjoy my absolutely beautiful, smart, spunky, and adored daughter. She is everything I wanted and oh how I need her in my life. And one day last week, I had a light bulb moment and thought, "I don't want another baby." I just want to be happy and content with my little Adelai. My Addie-Rose.

If I am happy and content with her right now, I will be happy and content with my life next month and next year. Happiness is contagious and freely flowing. But discontent and lies are so heavy and blocking. If I am not happy with my daughter now, only wishing constantly for another child, why would I be happy with another child? I wouldn't. There would be this constant need for fulfillment, and every blessing I received would never be enough.

Will I still yearn for a baby? Will I still shed occasional tears for the elusive future? Of course. But I feel free. I feel free to love my baby girl who is turning too quickly into a spunky toddler. I don't want another baby right now. I want another baby when God sees fit to grant me that next chapter, but until then, I will kiss my baby with every ounce of love I have, counting my blessings that I only have one child to clean up after at the end of each day.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hoping for a Rainbow

I'm really not sure if I ever thought this day would come. The day that I made it past 13 weeks pregnant without losing the baby. #miracle.  I know I am not out of the woods yet, and honestly, when are we really? I am just trying to live every day with gratitude for the life inside of me, living with hope for the future.  Part of me wanted to wait until next week, when I was past 14 weeks and officially in the 2nd trimester, but I couldn't wait any longer. I've been getting a little thick in the middle, which is getting more difficult to hide, and I feel like I haven't been able to be completely honest with friends when they would ask, "how are you doing?" All I wanted to talk about was how nauseous I was or how nervous I felt. So now, the news is out, whether or not you already suspected something was up.  Seriously though, the 1st trimester is not for the faint of heart! There were many instances when I thought I would lose the baby, but dee

I'm Pregnant! .....

...or so I thought. And you did too. Happy April Fools Day! I had been having baby dreams and feeling nauseous on and off during spring break, and I knew I would test immediately when I returned home from our road trip. The test was barely visible and I didn't believe it, so I said nothing to Marshall. That night I had a dream where the next pregnancy test I took was a solid double line. Well, two days after the first test, I got my obvious positive. I was so excited. Not knowing if it would be a good pregnancy or not, I tested again two days later and the line was darker, so I felt confident.  The past two pregnancies I miscarried at approximately 6 or 7 weeks both times, so I was pretty nervous about this one. What if it happened again? Would I be strong enough? Knowing that I needed extra strength and prayers, I asked roughly 40 of our family and closest friends to fast and pray with us on Easter Sunday. That Sunday I was on the top of the world. I felt so strong an

Grandpa is Always Right | Gender Reveal |

I was hanging out in our rental apartment in Salzburg, Austria with my sister when my dad walked out of his bedroom and announced that I was having a girl. I was only 11 weeks along at that point and while I was wishfully hoping for a girl, I was preparing myself for a boy. His strong conviction of the gender of our child without any hints from an ultrasound surprised me. My dad seems to always be right about things, so I secretly hoped he was right this time too. Today during my scan, my favorite sonographer announced that we were having a girl. Grandpa is always right. I never imagined our family starting with a baby boy. I don't know why, but a baby girl seems to fit just perfectly. Now I just have to keep calm and stay healthy for 19 more weeks.