Skip to main content

Dear Adelai |5 Months| : New Milestones



Dear Adelai,

Happy 5 months, sweetheart. This past month has been full of discovery! You've discovered your feet and your toes and love to stick them into your mouth whenever you have the chance, especially when Dad or I try to change your diaper. But honestly, you love to stick anything that comes within twelve inches of your face into your mouth, so your toes shouldn't be too surprising. You've also become more aware of faces, discovering that you have a tongue and smacking away with it and making adorable noises and a great deal of drool. You also love touching faces and putting your fingers into open mouths. I love the giggles you give when I "chew" on your fingers! I do not know why it excites you so much, but it sure is fun to find things to make you giggle.


Speaking of giggling, you do it so often! I even managed to make you giggle in the same breath as a scream one evening. You were having a rough time as we were getting ready for bed and I was able to do something that made you change courses. Our current go-to remedy for a cranky Adelai is to gently toss you onto the couch or bed when you are crying. Without fail, you immediately start to laugh and giggle--that is, unless you are truly unhappy. It's a nice gauge!


You're growing up, sweet girl. It seems like just a few weeks ago you hated being tossed up into the air by Dad, but now you love it. You've learned how to roll from back to tummy and tummy to back and how to scoot across the floor inchworm style a few feet, though being on your tummy is still not your favorite position to be in. I love watching you calm yourself to sleep with your pink owl blankie and pacifier. It's amazing to me, especially when it happened while we were at Grandma and Grandpa Adams's house during the family reunion with so many people in one room. You seemed to know that you needed a little power nap and took the owl over your eyes and passed out for a good half hour.


But out of all of these fun discoveries, the greatest thing that has happened during your fifth month was moving into your own room. There were about 4 nights in a row where you woke up 4 or 5 times per night! No joke. It was terrible. And it wasn't like I was doing anything different. On the final night of this I had to take you out of the bedroom each time you woke up because you just wanted to play and talk with us, but when I walked out into the hallway you calmed down and snuggled against my chest and fell asleep. Out of desperation, I placed you on the rug in the office that would soon be your room and you stayed asleep until the morning. I feel as though you were telling me you were ready. So the next night we had you sleep in your own room and you slept from 8:30-5:15, ate until 5:30, and then slept until 8! Hallelujah. It was a huge success. The subsequent nights were similar and last night you slept through the night for 10 straight hours until 7 AM. What a wonderful girl you are! You are so flexible and patient and I adore you.


You are a beautiful angel, Adelai. You are loving and happy, even when you are sick. You had your first cold this past month but you were all smiles even through the snot and congestion. I need to learn from you.


I guess that's one of the reasons we have families. To learn from each other and to love no matter what.

I love you forever,
Mom






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hoping for a Rainbow

I'm really not sure if I ever thought this day would come. The day that I made it past 13 weeks pregnant without losing the baby. #miracle.  I know I am not out of the woods yet, and honestly, when are we really? I am just trying to live every day with gratitude for the life inside of me, living with hope for the future.  Part of me wanted to wait until next week, when I was past 14 weeks and officially in the 2nd trimester, but I couldn't wait any longer. I've been getting a little thick in the middle, which is getting more difficult to hide, and I feel like I haven't been able to be completely honest with friends when they would ask, "how are you doing?" All I wanted to talk about was how nauseous I was or how nervous I felt. So now, the news is out, whether or not you already suspected something was up.  Seriously though, the 1st trimester is not for the faint of heart! There were many instances when I thought I would lose the baby, but dee

I'm Pregnant! .....

...or so I thought. And you did too. Happy April Fools Day! I had been having baby dreams and feeling nauseous on and off during spring break, and I knew I would test immediately when I returned home from our road trip. The test was barely visible and I didn't believe it, so I said nothing to Marshall. That night I had a dream where the next pregnancy test I took was a solid double line. Well, two days after the first test, I got my obvious positive. I was so excited. Not knowing if it would be a good pregnancy or not, I tested again two days later and the line was darker, so I felt confident.  The past two pregnancies I miscarried at approximately 6 or 7 weeks both times, so I was pretty nervous about this one. What if it happened again? Would I be strong enough? Knowing that I needed extra strength and prayers, I asked roughly 40 of our family and closest friends to fast and pray with us on Easter Sunday. That Sunday I was on the top of the world. I felt so strong an

Grandpa is Always Right | Gender Reveal |

I was hanging out in our rental apartment in Salzburg, Austria with my sister when my dad walked out of his bedroom and announced that I was having a girl. I was only 11 weeks along at that point and while I was wishfully hoping for a girl, I was preparing myself for a boy. His strong conviction of the gender of our child without any hints from an ultrasound surprised me. My dad seems to always be right about things, so I secretly hoped he was right this time too. Today during my scan, my favorite sonographer announced that we were having a girl. Grandpa is always right. I never imagined our family starting with a baby boy. I don't know why, but a baby girl seems to fit just perfectly. Now I just have to keep calm and stay healthy for 19 more weeks.