Skip to main content

How to Eat Real Food on a Cross-Country Road Trip


4,500 miles. 12 days. Kansas to California. 

When we mentioned that we were going to take our 10 week old baby on a road trip out to the Bay Area in California, we received many strange looks and opinions from others regarding our pending trip. My husband and I had already driven the ALCAN from Alaska to Kansas in 2014, so we were ready to take on another road trip, this time with baby in tow. 

My goal for our trip was to pack all of our meals while on the road so that we wouldn't have to eat out during the long days of driving. We were blessed to stay the nights at friends' and family's homes and to receive of their hospitality, which made meal planning a little easier. I have shared what meals we ate during the trip below.

I learned so much from traveling with a breastfed infant and hopefully this post will help me remember what worked well for our next adventure (mommy brain is a real thing).

Tips for Traveling With an Infant:
  • Sit in the backseat next to the baby, especially if you don't have any other children to keep them entertained. 
  • Pack a manual pump. I was a little surprised when my baby didn't want to eat as often as she was at home (every 2-3 hours) while on the road. Thankfully I had brought along a manual pump, allowing me to relieve any discomfort and to keep up my milk supply when she didn't want to eat. I kept the bottle in the cooler next to the ice packs and used it later to calm her down when she became hangry so that I could nurse her a little more easily. 😉
  • Offer to nurse every time you stop, but don't force her to eat. 

  • Keep bag of burp rags accessible while driving.
  • Pack lots and lots of diapers and wipes. This cloth diapering mom forgot how many diapers a baby goes through! We used over 100 for our 12 day trip. 
  • Pack little baggies to put any blow-out clothing/diapers in until you arrive at a location where you can do laundry or throw away a messy diaper. 
  • Pack a Fels-Naptha laundry soap bar. No one wants to scrub out 2 week-old poop stains. Scrub out the stains the night they happen to make for easier laundry later. 
  • Plan to add an hour or two to your travel time. 

Tips for Eating Real Food on the Road:
  • Truck stops are your friend! Besides just having nicer bathrooms in general, they have microwaves that you can use to nuke any foods you may want warm for your meals.
  • Do not eat your meals in the car while driving. Stop. Get out. Find a grassy area, a picnic bench, or a table in a truck stop to eat your meal. You will feel much better after the break.
  • Prep the food for lunch while driving before you arrive at your break stop. I made sandwiches and sliced cucumbers, among other things. This will make your rest stops a little more efficient and you can spend your break eating and resting, not prepping food. 
  • Stay at friends' and family's homes at night along the way, if possible. This will help you rejuvenate and have access to a fridge to put your food in. 
  • Utilize thermoses to keep lunch warm if you don't want to try and find a microwave on the road. Warm up the food in the morning at your friend's or family's home, and it will stay warm until lunch time. 
  • Foods like canned tuna and jarred beans are great because you don't necessarily need to warm them up to eat! Remember to pack a can opener though.
  • Freeze anything you can before you leave on your trip. It will act as ice during the first day and stay fresh longer. 
  • Bring along a simple homemade salad dressing of olive oil, lemon juice, and salt and pepper in a disposable water bottle for an easy way to dress up any meal or salad.  
  • Avocado and mustard act as great condiments for things like sandwiches or tuna salad. Mayo goes bad a lot quicker if it isn't kept cold. I bought an unripe avocado and allowed it to ripen during the first couple of days before we used it. No one likes to waste avocado!
  • Pack a roll of paper towels and disposable bowls and plates and utensils. 
  • Pack a knife with a sheath so no one gets stabbed. 

Breakfasts:



Lunches/Dinners:


  • Salad mixes. This all-in-one salad mix was great to eat along the road because it was easy to mix together in the bag. I also loved having some bags of spinach or mixed greens to throw into whatever we were eating for lunch or dinner. 

  • Meatballs & stir-fry veggies (warmed up in the morning and put into thermoses)
  • Sandwiches 
  • Indian "ready-to-eat" curry mix with rice & greens. I loved these little 2-serving Indian meals! So easy to just reheat in the microwave. The rice was made ahead of time and we just kept it cold in the cooler and then the fridge when we stopped for the night. 









  • Summer Italian Sausage wraps: This was a fun meal because it was our last one before returning home, which meant that I could be creative by using up the remaining food ingredients! We used spinach, salad dressing, sliced sausage, sliced hard boiled egg, feta cheese, and chopped apples inside a tortilla. 



Snacks:
I try not to pack food that is considered "junk food" for the trip since they often make me feel gross, but I still packed some snack cookies that wouldn't send the blood sugar souring but still satisfy any cravings. 


Eating good, nourishing food along the road is totally possible; it just takes a little bit of forethought and planning. Road trips have the potential to be so fun, so don't let an infant detour your plans. Take them along for the ride and enjoy all the fun, new adventures!





Comments

  1. This post was awesome. Thank you as always for this! And I especially laughed at "Pack a knife with a sheath so no one gets stabbed." I'm going to try some of those recipes too! :-) You're the best, as always, Jenessa!!! THANK YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you got a laugh out of it! Luckily it wasn't a tip from bad experience :). Thanks for everything!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hoping for a Rainbow

I'm really not sure if I ever thought this day would come. The day that I made it past 13 weeks pregnant without losing the baby. #miracle.  I know I am not out of the woods yet, and honestly, when are we really? I am just trying to live every day with gratitude for the life inside of me, living with hope for the future.  Part of me wanted to wait until next week, when I was past 14 weeks and officially in the 2nd trimester, but I couldn't wait any longer. I've been getting a little thick in the middle, which is getting more difficult to hide, and I feel like I haven't been able to be completely honest with friends when they would ask, "how are you doing?" All I wanted to talk about was how nauseous I was or how nervous I felt. So now, the news is out, whether or not you already suspected something was up.  Seriously though, the 1st trimester is not for the faint of heart! There were many instances when I thought I would lose the baby, but dee

I'm Pregnant! .....

...or so I thought. And you did too. Happy April Fools Day! I had been having baby dreams and feeling nauseous on and off during spring break, and I knew I would test immediately when I returned home from our road trip. The test was barely visible and I didn't believe it, so I said nothing to Marshall. That night I had a dream where the next pregnancy test I took was a solid double line. Well, two days after the first test, I got my obvious positive. I was so excited. Not knowing if it would be a good pregnancy or not, I tested again two days later and the line was darker, so I felt confident.  The past two pregnancies I miscarried at approximately 6 or 7 weeks both times, so I was pretty nervous about this one. What if it happened again? Would I be strong enough? Knowing that I needed extra strength and prayers, I asked roughly 40 of our family and closest friends to fast and pray with us on Easter Sunday. That Sunday I was on the top of the world. I felt so strong an

Grandpa is Always Right | Gender Reveal |

I was hanging out in our rental apartment in Salzburg, Austria with my sister when my dad walked out of his bedroom and announced that I was having a girl. I was only 11 weeks along at that point and while I was wishfully hoping for a girl, I was preparing myself for a boy. His strong conviction of the gender of our child without any hints from an ultrasound surprised me. My dad seems to always be right about things, so I secretly hoped he was right this time too. Today during my scan, my favorite sonographer announced that we were having a girl. Grandpa is always right. I never imagined our family starting with a baby boy. I don't know why, but a baby girl seems to fit just perfectly. Now I just have to keep calm and stay healthy for 19 more weeks.