Skip to main content

What Can I Do To Help?


It's a common phrase for women to ask their friends, "what can I do to help?" The usual response to this inquiry is something along the lines of, "oh I'm doing alright, you don't need to help with anything," and then both parties go back to whatever they were doing in their day.  
But yesterday I asked for help from my lovely friend (who also happens to be my visiting teacher*). It had been a rough day for me and I didn't have all the motivation or energy to make dinner all by myself, and I knew that If I asked her to help me make dinner when she stopped by for a scheduled visit, she would be willing and we could talk and laugh and get dinner into the oven in half the time it would have taken me to do it alone. 

My happy face after a delicious dinner was made by the help of a friend. 

I had so much fun spending time in the kitchen with her, cutting eggplant and garlic, whisking eggs, and simmering a fresh pot of tomato sauce on the stove. We dredged the eggplant slices into the flour mixture, the eggs, and then Parmesan cheese and before I knew it, we had a gorgeous pot of eggplant Parmesan in the oven in less than an hour. 

Last month when she came, I asked if we could go on a walk because I needed sunshine. In January, she helped me cut out dozens of paper hearts so that I could heart attack another of my friend's door for her birthday the following morning. Helping another woman out does not always involve Clorox and rubber gloves, or something huge and time consuming. Usually all she needs, like in my case, is an hour of lighthearted conversation and an extra set of hands to complete a small, yet important task. 

Instead of being exhausted when I finished making dinner, I still had plenty of energy and was emotionally lifted by my friend's visit. That's what service is. It's a two-sided act that is most beneficial when both parties are willing to give and willing to receive (or ask). It's lifting another's spirits up and helping with whatever they need that day, however small or however large. 




*The Visiting Teaching program in my church is a system where each woman above the age of 18 is assigned to be a friend, a support, and a shoulder to lean on for a few other women in the congregation. We are counselled to get to know the women we are assigned to and keep communication lines open with whomever we visit, so that if sickness, sadness, or any kind of assistance is needed, both in happy times and in hard, we know who we can contact for immediate help. It is a way to meet and love women of various ages and life circumstances, thus enlarging our circle of friends and learning how to be empathetic to all women. 

Comments

  1. I love this! I think I'm going to try that more often...from both sides (offering to do things like that, and asking for them) because sometimes that's so much better than just a visit and a lesson (though that can be really good too!) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is so great to help in simple ways. You get to know each other better too!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hoping for a Rainbow

I'm really not sure if I ever thought this day would come. The day that I made it past 13 weeks pregnant without losing the baby. #miracle.  I know I am not out of the woods yet, and honestly, when are we really? I am just trying to live every day with gratitude for the life inside of me, living with hope for the future.  Part of me wanted to wait until next week, when I was past 14 weeks and officially in the 2nd trimester, but I couldn't wait any longer. I've been getting a little thick in the middle, which is getting more difficult to hide, and I feel like I haven't been able to be completely honest with friends when they would ask, "how are you doing?" All I wanted to talk about was how nauseous I was or how nervous I felt. So now, the news is out, whether or not you already suspected something was up.  Seriously though, the 1st trimester is not for the faint of heart! There were many instances when I thought I would lose the baby, but dee

I'm Pregnant! .....

...or so I thought. And you did too. Happy April Fools Day! I had been having baby dreams and feeling nauseous on and off during spring break, and I knew I would test immediately when I returned home from our road trip. The test was barely visible and I didn't believe it, so I said nothing to Marshall. That night I had a dream where the next pregnancy test I took was a solid double line. Well, two days after the first test, I got my obvious positive. I was so excited. Not knowing if it would be a good pregnancy or not, I tested again two days later and the line was darker, so I felt confident.  The past two pregnancies I miscarried at approximately 6 or 7 weeks both times, so I was pretty nervous about this one. What if it happened again? Would I be strong enough? Knowing that I needed extra strength and prayers, I asked roughly 40 of our family and closest friends to fast and pray with us on Easter Sunday. That Sunday I was on the top of the world. I felt so strong an

Grandpa is Always Right | Gender Reveal |

I was hanging out in our rental apartment in Salzburg, Austria with my sister when my dad walked out of his bedroom and announced that I was having a girl. I was only 11 weeks along at that point and while I was wishfully hoping for a girl, I was preparing myself for a boy. His strong conviction of the gender of our child without any hints from an ultrasound surprised me. My dad seems to always be right about things, so I secretly hoped he was right this time too. Today during my scan, my favorite sonographer announced that we were having a girl. Grandpa is always right. I never imagined our family starting with a baby boy. I don't know why, but a baby girl seems to fit just perfectly. Now I just have to keep calm and stay healthy for 19 more weeks.