Skip to main content

How I am Coping After Miscarriage

Disclaimer: While this post is directed to my experience with a miscarriage, I feel like the principles can apply to any tough situation for anyone. 
The past 2.5 weeks have been surreal. From the elation of pregnancy achievement to the grief of miscarriage, I feel as though I have traveled the whole gamut of human emotion. My body has played a pretty intense symphony of hormonal changes in such a short period of time, so I suppose my random crying episodes during this time may have been validated. 

But how am I doing now, one week after losing the pregnancy? That's what this post is all about. If you're going through a trial that seems to be ripping your heart out, I am sure we can relate. Hopefully you can glean something out of what has helped me, to help you out as well. 

1. Acknowledge What You're Feeling. 
It was really important that I allowed myself to be sad and cry about losing the pregnancy. As much as I wanted to be "super woman" and move on quickly, the greater part of me needed to mourn the loss that I so badly had worked towards for 4 years. When friends and family said to me, "I am so sorry,"  I said "Thank you" instead of "Oh it's okay," like I used to do when others showed me sympathy. This is the main reason I wrote about the miscarriage the day it happened; I didn't want to live a lie. I had to be true to what I was feeling.  Acknowledging your own feelings is so empowering. 

2. Find a Support Team
I could not have pulled through without my support team, aka., my family and friends and God. The afternoon after I returned home from the ER, my sweet friend Adell, texted me to see if she could bring me dinner that evening.  Soon after that, we received a text from Marshall's sister asking if she could order us pizza for the next evening. Really? No one has ever brought me dinner before. My body was still cramping pretty badly and I was low on energy due to the fact that I hadn't slept the night before. Marshall was exhausted (though he would never admit to that) from making the ER run with me and preparing for finals, so having dinner brought over two nights in a row was manna from heaven.  Dozens of my friends sent texts and Facebook messages filled with sympathy, hope, love, and support. Knowing that I had friends who had been through the same thing was so therapeutic for me.  I also received flowers and handwritten cards in the mail. These all buoyed my spirits.   
 


















While I was still in the ER, I had a strong impression to text my cousin who had gone through a similar, yet very different, miscarriage just a month earlier. We are less than 5 years apart, so it was therapeutic to be able to cry together and share our experiences. Family ties are so strong. 
On Monday, five days after the miscarriage, I received a text from a dear friend that read, "checking in pretty lady. Hope you're having a beautiful day!" The message came at the perfect time because I was still a little low in spirits from Mother's Day weekend. A good support team will keep you going even when it seems impossible. 
My support team would not be complete without my Heavenly Father. I have said countless prayers over the past week that have helped me put one foot in front of the other. Many times my prayers were answered in the form of my angelic friends who put their arms around me, cried with me, told me they loved me, and supported my feelings. Prayer is pretty amazing.  
3. Allow Yourself to Rest
I allowed myself to rest for two days while I was at my lowest, granted I had two days off from work which was super convenient.  Marshall had picked up 4 DVDs from the library for me to watch and that's what I did.
When I had to return to work on Friday, I asked Marshall to come with me (he had "stop day" at school so he had the time). I had enough energy to watch the kids, but I needed another adult with me mostly for the emotional support. I am so grateful he was able to come with me. 
Taking time away from work and the normal grind is important so that you have the energy to nourish your heart, mind, and body.  
4. Memorialize the Event 
Do you know why memorials are built? It's not so we can be sad and feel grief every time we look at them, but so that we can acknowledge what happened and allow ourselves to past the loss. This goes back to point #1 above. A friend of mine gave me such a great idea of how she memorialized her two miscarriages that I wanted to do something similar. 
After a few searches online, I found the necklace pictured below and would love to have something along these lines to help me memorialize my success and experience in my first pregnancy. After showing it to Marshall, I think we've decided to design and make our own. I can't wait until it's done.  

5. Lose Yourself in Service
It was no accident that I was called to be the secretary for the Topeka Stake Young Women organization for my church two days before my miscarriage. Having an assignment that is going to require a lot of my time in the next few months as we prepare and attend Girl's Camp in June and a 3-day Youth Conference trip out to Nauvoo in July is excellent for distracting me from my loss. Just three days after the miscarriage I went to a 5 hour training meeting for camp. It was extremely nourishing for me to be around lively and adorable 16 & 17 year old girls for a few hours instead of staying at home moping on the couch. 
This assignment is going to fill my weeks with planning meetings, prep work, and service to the young women of our church in Kansas. Service of any kind (e.g. community, home, church, volunteer) is wonderful at directing energy towards a good cause instead of feeding self-pity.  
This was taken just yesterday.
Watching this adorable 3-year-old is another way I give my time to others.
6. Be Patient
Yes, it is difficult to be patient when I want everything to be fixed right now.  But the Universe wasn't created in a day and overcoming a miscarriage isn't going to be resolved in a day either. It takes time. I was lucky to wake up five days later feeling like myself again. I didn't think I would recover so quickly, but I have to give the credit to my resting and of course my God, for a quick recovery. 
Life is challenging. I'm not pretending that this is going to be my biggest trial. I know there will be more down the road, but just as a tree gets stronger when the wind blows on it, I will become stronger when the winds of trials blow on me.

Thank you, my dear friends, for everything you are and do for me.

          Jenessa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hoping for a Rainbow

I'm really not sure if I ever thought this day would come. The day that I made it past 13 weeks pregnant without losing the baby. #miracle.  I know I am not out of the woods yet, and honestly, when are we really? I am just trying to live every day with gratitude for the life inside of me, living with hope for the future.  Part of me wanted to wait until next week, when I was past 14 weeks and officially in the 2nd trimester, but I couldn't wait any longer. I've been getting a little thick in the middle, which is getting more difficult to hide, and I feel like I haven't been able to be completely honest with friends when they would ask, "how are you doing?" All I wanted to talk about was how nauseous I was or how nervous I felt. So now, the news is out, whether or not you already suspected something was up.  Seriously though, the 1st trimester is not for the faint of heart! There were many instances when I thought I would lose the baby, but dee

I'm Pregnant! .....

...or so I thought. And you did too. Happy April Fools Day! I had been having baby dreams and feeling nauseous on and off during spring break, and I knew I would test immediately when I returned home from our road trip. The test was barely visible and I didn't believe it, so I said nothing to Marshall. That night I had a dream where the next pregnancy test I took was a solid double line. Well, two days after the first test, I got my obvious positive. I was so excited. Not knowing if it would be a good pregnancy or not, I tested again two days later and the line was darker, so I felt confident.  The past two pregnancies I miscarried at approximately 6 or 7 weeks both times, so I was pretty nervous about this one. What if it happened again? Would I be strong enough? Knowing that I needed extra strength and prayers, I asked roughly 40 of our family and closest friends to fast and pray with us on Easter Sunday. That Sunday I was on the top of the world. I felt so strong an

Grandpa is Always Right | Gender Reveal |

I was hanging out in our rental apartment in Salzburg, Austria with my sister when my dad walked out of his bedroom and announced that I was having a girl. I was only 11 weeks along at that point and while I was wishfully hoping for a girl, I was preparing myself for a boy. His strong conviction of the gender of our child without any hints from an ultrasound surprised me. My dad seems to always be right about things, so I secretly hoped he was right this time too. Today during my scan, my favorite sonographer announced that we were having a girl. Grandpa is always right. I never imagined our family starting with a baby boy. I don't know why, but a baby girl seems to fit just perfectly. Now I just have to keep calm and stay healthy for 19 more weeks.