Skip to main content

I left a piece of my heart in Fairbanks

As I sit here in my hotel room in Yukon, Canada, my heart is full of gratitude and peace about the past two and a half years, though I feel like part of my heart has been ripped out and left in Fairbanks, Alaska. It was such a wonderful life, my first home with my husband.

A final picture in front of our cabin in Fairbanks as we were driving out. I will miss it dearly.
And for the record, it was 9:45 AM at the time the photo was taken. I will miss that too.
It was in Fairbanks that I grew up, got to know my husband, improved my relationship with Christ, and learned to truly love the outdoors. I also had opportunities coaching skating that I would not have been able to have if the skating program were larger.  During the good-bye/appreciation dinner the skating club put together this past weekend for my colleague and I, I realized how incredibly lucky I was to have been able to coach SO many amazing skaters and work with great parents. I have to admit that there were times when I desired more available ice time or more training resources for me and my skaters.  However, in the big picture, I was given a lot. I was given the opportunity to take one of my skaters to Regionals in Washington twice, be a coach for the Arctic Winter Games, and coach an off-ice training class for the skaters on a weekly basis. All of these opportunities were challenging, but they helped me grow as a coach and person.

Coaching at Regionals this past October
It was also in Fairbanks where I learned to love myself for who I am, not who I think I should be. I have learned to trust in the Lord's timing, remembering that He is in charge. So much freedom has come into my life from this.

I have always said that it is good to live far away from family for a period of time. Because of this blessing, I have been able to forge friendships that have been strong. When you live so far from family, you learn to lean on others as you would family, and you become stronger. There were women in Fairbanks who I leaned on and loved as my sisters. Their emotional support over the past few years means more than I can express. Thank you.

There have been many nights over the past 2.5 years where I have cried because I haven't been blessed with children yet, but looking back, I wouldn't have changed a thing. Because we didn't have kids in Alaska, we were able to take hikes and camping trips whenever we wanted to, run in races on a moment's notice, or drive down to Anchorage to see family without the added strain of an infant.  But the biggest blessing from not having kids in this chapter of my life is that I was able to fall in love with the children I taught in nursery at church and those I coached at the rink. I love their innocence, their smiles, and the desire of my nursery kids to sit on my lap and snuggle. Then, at the end of the day, I could give the kids back to their parents. It was a pretty sweet deal.

Two adorable skaters I will truly miss. 
It Fairbanks, I got used to being spoiled. Spoiled with living in a winter wonderland beyond explanation. We could see the Northern Lights in our backyard. Seeing wildlife was just a normal daily occurrence. And having hundreds of miles of nothing was breath-taking. All of these experiences will be a part of me forever.

We saw mountain goats in Yukon today!! Aren't they SO cute?
 I am moving back to the States this week. It is the right thing for us now, and I will faithfully go with my husband so that he can start school. I am so excited for the future. It is bright.

But someday I will return to find the piece of my heart that I have left in Alaska.

Last-minute photo shoot at our favorite spot in Creamer's Field.

Pure happiness


Comments

  1. AW! I love the ones of you two in the tree. I can't wait to see you both soon!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hoping for a Rainbow

I'm really not sure if I ever thought this day would come. The day that I made it past 13 weeks pregnant without losing the baby. #miracle.  I know I am not out of the woods yet, and honestly, when are we really? I am just trying to live every day with gratitude for the life inside of me, living with hope for the future.  Part of me wanted to wait until next week, when I was past 14 weeks and officially in the 2nd trimester, but I couldn't wait any longer. I've been getting a little thick in the middle, which is getting more difficult to hide, and I feel like I haven't been able to be completely honest with friends when they would ask, "how are you doing?" All I wanted to talk about was how nauseous I was or how nervous I felt. So now, the news is out, whether or not you already suspected something was up.  Seriously though, the 1st trimester is not for the faint of heart! There were many instances when I thought I would lose the baby, but dee

I'm Pregnant! .....

...or so I thought. And you did too. Happy April Fools Day! I had been having baby dreams and feeling nauseous on and off during spring break, and I knew I would test immediately when I returned home from our road trip. The test was barely visible and I didn't believe it, so I said nothing to Marshall. That night I had a dream where the next pregnancy test I took was a solid double line. Well, two days after the first test, I got my obvious positive. I was so excited. Not knowing if it would be a good pregnancy or not, I tested again two days later and the line was darker, so I felt confident.  The past two pregnancies I miscarried at approximately 6 or 7 weeks both times, so I was pretty nervous about this one. What if it happened again? Would I be strong enough? Knowing that I needed extra strength and prayers, I asked roughly 40 of our family and closest friends to fast and pray with us on Easter Sunday. That Sunday I was on the top of the world. I felt so strong an

Grandpa is Always Right | Gender Reveal |

I was hanging out in our rental apartment in Salzburg, Austria with my sister when my dad walked out of his bedroom and announced that I was having a girl. I was only 11 weeks along at that point and while I was wishfully hoping for a girl, I was preparing myself for a boy. His strong conviction of the gender of our child without any hints from an ultrasound surprised me. My dad seems to always be right about things, so I secretly hoped he was right this time too. Today during my scan, my favorite sonographer announced that we were having a girl. Grandpa is always right. I never imagined our family starting with a baby boy. I don't know why, but a baby girl seems to fit just perfectly. Now I just have to keep calm and stay healthy for 19 more weeks.