Skip to main content

Army Wellness Center, My Personal Battle, and How I am Going to Win!

I remember the first time I saw a Bod Pod while touring a potential college during my senior year of high school.  I thought it was so cool that this school had a machine for the Athletic Training students to use to measure and learn about body composition. While I would have loved to have gone to this particular school and learn about and use the Bod Pod, the university I ended up attending and graduating from did not have such luxuries. I never thought I would have my curiosity appeased and actually get to use one until last month when I heard that the Army Wellness Center on post had one. 

Naturally, I made an appointment to be tested so that I could have a baseline of what my body fat % is as well as my resting metabolic rate, though I know numbers are not everything.  (If you are interested in this kind of testing and you are in the military, I would highly suggest checking out your wellness center to make an appointment because it is FREE.)

It's an egg-spaceship!!


I have been working with a private nutritionist based out of Solana Beach, California since May 2014 and thought having some baseline numbers would be appropriate. The testing was quick and non-invasive, but the most challenging part was the need to fast prior to the test.  I highly dislike skipping breakfast. For the Bod Pod test I wore a one-piece workout swimsuit and a swim cap and then climbed into the egg spaceship that sounded like an elevator. The thing I like about the Bod Pod versus a traditional skin fold test or BMI is that the Bod Pod uses air displacement to obtain a highly accurate % of fat and fat-free mass, meaning it takes into account your bone size, organs, and muscle mass.

*I am sharing some really personal feelings below, so if you continue to read, please respect and be kind to what you read as well as to me. Thanks in advance!*

Upon getting my results back, my gut feeling that it would be beneficial if I gained some body fat/weight was confirmed. My body fat % was very low, which is not conducive to pregnancy. Again, I know numbers are not everything, but they are a good reference guide. 

 I have been struggling with this for many years and I think one of the reasons why this is so difficult for me is because the media and many women are constantly talking about how you need to lose weight. Saying you need to gain weight almost seems faux pas. The other thing that is difficult for me is that I see other women who are smaller than me who get pregnant and have babies, but I just do not think it is possible for me to get pregnant while being as small as I am right now. I know I mustn't judge or compare myself with them because that is absolutely not fair at all. I think all women are beautiful. 

A year ago I began eating real food, and six months ago I cut out all sugar and processed dairy and wheat while working with my nutritionist. I have made a lot of gains in terms of my health but I know I still have a ways to go.

My goals for gaining weight:
I am going to eat a nutritious snack in-between my meals every day. This is sometimes a challenge for me because I eat very nutrient-dense meals that often take me to the next meal. But other times a small hunger signal passes through my body and I just ignore it, telling myself that dinner is "just an hour away." 

How I am going to WIN!:
This is to be no more! I must nourish my body both spiritually and physically. I need to give it the sustenance it needs, especially at this time of desired motherhood. I need to allow my body to become "softer" and to love myself for who I am. I am going to allow myself to put on a few pounds while not worrying about how others may or may not think of me.  I am also going to rely on the Savior and His perfect love for me. I am not going to be able to do this alone, and will be relying on the support of my husband and my friends, but mainly I will be relying on Jesus Christ, for I know I cannot do it alone. I will win this challenge!

And thanks again for not judging me.



"Never allow your fears to make your decisions"
-Sean Covey

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hoping for a Rainbow

I'm really not sure if I ever thought this day would come. The day that I made it past 13 weeks pregnant without losing the baby. #miracle.  I know I am not out of the woods yet, and honestly, when are we really? I am just trying to live every day with gratitude for the life inside of me, living with hope for the future.  Part of me wanted to wait until next week, when I was past 14 weeks and officially in the 2nd trimester, but I couldn't wait any longer. I've been getting a little thick in the middle, which is getting more difficult to hide, and I feel like I haven't been able to be completely honest with friends when they would ask, "how are you doing?" All I wanted to talk about was how nauseous I was or how nervous I felt. So now, the news is out, whether or not you already suspected something was up.  Seriously though, the 1st trimester is not for the faint of heart! There were many instances when I thought I would lose the baby, but dee

I'm Pregnant! .....

...or so I thought. And you did too. Happy April Fools Day! I had been having baby dreams and feeling nauseous on and off during spring break, and I knew I would test immediately when I returned home from our road trip. The test was barely visible and I didn't believe it, so I said nothing to Marshall. That night I had a dream where the next pregnancy test I took was a solid double line. Well, two days after the first test, I got my obvious positive. I was so excited. Not knowing if it would be a good pregnancy or not, I tested again two days later and the line was darker, so I felt confident.  The past two pregnancies I miscarried at approximately 6 or 7 weeks both times, so I was pretty nervous about this one. What if it happened again? Would I be strong enough? Knowing that I needed extra strength and prayers, I asked roughly 40 of our family and closest friends to fast and pray with us on Easter Sunday. That Sunday I was on the top of the world. I felt so strong an

Grandpa is Always Right | Gender Reveal |

I was hanging out in our rental apartment in Salzburg, Austria with my sister when my dad walked out of his bedroom and announced that I was having a girl. I was only 11 weeks along at that point and while I was wishfully hoping for a girl, I was preparing myself for a boy. His strong conviction of the gender of our child without any hints from an ultrasound surprised me. My dad seems to always be right about things, so I secretly hoped he was right this time too. Today during my scan, my favorite sonographer announced that we were having a girl. Grandpa is always right. I never imagined our family starting with a baby boy. I don't know why, but a baby girl seems to fit just perfectly. Now I just have to keep calm and stay healthy for 19 more weeks.