Skip to main content

Why I've Stopped Keeping a To-do list. And the reasons I am not looking back.

Earlier this summer I stopped by the farmer's market to pick up a couple of things on my shopping list. While I was there, I ran into an acquaintance and FRG leader of my husband's company. I said hi and we exchanged "how are you," but that was it. You see, I was in a hurry. I didn't think I had the time to talk and grow a friendship. I was subconsciously going through my list of things I needed to accomplish that afternoon and nothing was going to stop me from my goal. Wow. I am really embarrassed to share this story, but it helps to make a point.  



I used to be the queen of to-do lists, so much so that if I completed a task that was not on my list, I would write it down just so I could check it off.  But I've now realized that when I had these lists, I would get so caught up in getting everything done, that I would often miss small moments in my day that are really precious. Things like a conversation with a friend you run into at the farmer's market, or a random hug with your husband, or just following your feelings and doing what feels right. I would often miss these experiences because I would feel like I was obligated to go-go-go to get my tasks done. I wasn't really good at being okay with things left un-done on my list. Then I would have a tendency to be harsh on myself if I didn't get things done and that would overwhelm me even more. It was a vicious cycle I wasn't willing to admit, because I thought successful people kept lists and I wanted to be successful. Well, I have started to realize that the important things in life will get done. What isn't important will just slip away. I am not lazy, so I know I will find a way to be successful in all things. Living my life each day without a to-do list keeps me sane and happy. No expectations. Sounds like a win-win situation to me!

So how is this going for me? On Tuesday I noticed the fall colors were out in full-swing, and I wanted pictures! I only had 45 minutes before I needed to be at work, but that was enough time to get these fun shots taken. 







No, they are not perfect, but memories were made and preserved. Going on a bike ride with my husband and taking pictures sure did beat folding the pile of laundry on my couch. (That is what I would have done if I had been keeping a to-do list.)  

Trust yourself and your instincts to do the right things every day. When you follow the Lord, things will always work out, usually better than expected.

UPDATE:
I just found this video and it is PERFECT for this post about to-do lists. 
"You never know how much good you do."

Comments

  1. Your life is amazing! And your pictures are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life is good, isn't it? Amy, I would love to catch up with you again sometime soon! I feel like you have an amazing life, full of travels and adventures. I wish you the best until then!

      Delete
  2. Love that first picture, just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hoping for a Rainbow

I'm really not sure if I ever thought this day would come. The day that I made it past 13 weeks pregnant without losing the baby. #miracle.  I know I am not out of the woods yet, and honestly, when are we really? I am just trying to live every day with gratitude for the life inside of me, living with hope for the future.  Part of me wanted to wait until next week, when I was past 14 weeks and officially in the 2nd trimester, but I couldn't wait any longer. I've been getting a little thick in the middle, which is getting more difficult to hide, and I feel like I haven't been able to be completely honest with friends when they would ask, "how are you doing?" All I wanted to talk about was how nauseous I was or how nervous I felt. So now, the news is out, whether or not you already suspected something was up.  Seriously though, the 1st trimester is not for the faint of heart! There were many instances when I thought I would lose the baby, but dee

I'm Pregnant! .....

...or so I thought. And you did too. Happy April Fools Day! I had been having baby dreams and feeling nauseous on and off during spring break, and I knew I would test immediately when I returned home from our road trip. The test was barely visible and I didn't believe it, so I said nothing to Marshall. That night I had a dream where the next pregnancy test I took was a solid double line. Well, two days after the first test, I got my obvious positive. I was so excited. Not knowing if it would be a good pregnancy or not, I tested again two days later and the line was darker, so I felt confident.  The past two pregnancies I miscarried at approximately 6 or 7 weeks both times, so I was pretty nervous about this one. What if it happened again? Would I be strong enough? Knowing that I needed extra strength and prayers, I asked roughly 40 of our family and closest friends to fast and pray with us on Easter Sunday. That Sunday I was on the top of the world. I felt so strong an

Grandpa is Always Right | Gender Reveal |

I was hanging out in our rental apartment in Salzburg, Austria with my sister when my dad walked out of his bedroom and announced that I was having a girl. I was only 11 weeks along at that point and while I was wishfully hoping for a girl, I was preparing myself for a boy. His strong conviction of the gender of our child without any hints from an ultrasound surprised me. My dad seems to always be right about things, so I secretly hoped he was right this time too. Today during my scan, my favorite sonographer announced that we were having a girl. Grandpa is always right. I never imagined our family starting with a baby boy. I don't know why, but a baby girl seems to fit just perfectly. Now I just have to keep calm and stay healthy for 19 more weeks.