Skip to main content

Grateful for the USO and a Spur-of-the-moment Seattle Date

Ahh, isn't traveling fun?! It was super great to be traveling with my husband though. I have never done that before this trip, and sitting next to your sweetheart on the plane and having someone to laugh and talk with and a hand to hold or shoulder to lay your head on during the long traveling days makes everything SO much better. Seriously.

Because we booked the cheap tickets, we were blessed to enjoy a 14-hour layover in Seattle after a 3.5 hour flight from Kansas City, Missouri. We arrived in Seattle at 5pm and since our next flight didn't take off until the next morning, we decided to spend the night out on the town!

I love public transportation: avoiding traffic, not having to worry about parking, and being able to multi-task while you're getting to where you need to be.  Maybe my appreciation for subways and lightrails is because I grew up riding the subways in Tokyo.  Marshall and I walked 10 minutes to the light rail at the airport and rode 30 minutes to downtown.

It was a perfect  summer evening. I had been in Seattle before, so sharing my past memories and experiences with my husband was special. We walked along 1st avenue and found a cute French restaurant with outside seating.
I guess I expected the menu prices to be expensive since we were in Seattle. But I was pleasantly surprised when our tab came out to $32 before tip! Here is what we ate:


Pre-Appetizer: 
Our waitress came out with two small slices of crusty crackers spread with a great herbed cheese. It was so cute, I wish I remember what she called it!

First course:
Pork pate with honey walnuts, pickled cucumbers, and real mustard.
I loved how sophisticated it tasted. 
Main Course:
Marshall ordered a warm puree of salt cod with garlic, olive oil, cream, and potato served with marinated olives and grilled bread. 
I ordered a spring fish soup with rich halibut broth, mussels, green garlic, peas, carrots, and bay scallop sole dumpling.
It was so fresh and delicious. I wish every restaurant used quality ingredients like this!
Dessert:
The waitress brought out two homemade salted caramels with our bill. 
Those topped off our dinner perfectly. 

This meal wasn't your typical American fare. It was such a pleasant eating experience, especially since we were able to have an outside table to enjoy the summer evening. I am so glad my husband knows how to appreciate and enjoy real  and delicious food. 


After dinner we walked out to the pier and made it just in time for the sunset at 9 pm. We held each other close as we watched the sun dip behind the mountains.  


Mt. Rainier was out that night. Gorgeous.
I didn't bother getting a sunset picture. They don't do it justice anyways.
 As we arrived back at the USO at the airport, gratitude filled my heart.  I just spent a beautiful evening with my best friend in a beautiful city, and now I was climbing into a bed (where I got a solid 6 hours of sleep).

We had a great 2 week vacation, but now I am back home and am loving it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hoping for a Rainbow

I'm really not sure if I ever thought this day would come. The day that I made it past 13 weeks pregnant without losing the baby. #miracle.  I know I am not out of the woods yet, and honestly, when are we really? I am just trying to live every day with gratitude for the life inside of me, living with hope for the future.  Part of me wanted to wait until next week, when I was past 14 weeks and officially in the 2nd trimester, but I couldn't wait any longer. I've been getting a little thick in the middle, which is getting more difficult to hide, and I feel like I haven't been able to be completely honest with friends when they would ask, "how are you doing?" All I wanted to talk about was how nauseous I was or how nervous I felt. So now, the news is out, whether or not you already suspected something was up.  Seriously though, the 1st trimester is not for the faint of heart! There were many instances when I thought I would lose the baby, but dee

I'm Pregnant! .....

...or so I thought. And you did too. Happy April Fools Day! I had been having baby dreams and feeling nauseous on and off during spring break, and I knew I would test immediately when I returned home from our road trip. The test was barely visible and I didn't believe it, so I said nothing to Marshall. That night I had a dream where the next pregnancy test I took was a solid double line. Well, two days after the first test, I got my obvious positive. I was so excited. Not knowing if it would be a good pregnancy or not, I tested again two days later and the line was darker, so I felt confident.  The past two pregnancies I miscarried at approximately 6 or 7 weeks both times, so I was pretty nervous about this one. What if it happened again? Would I be strong enough? Knowing that I needed extra strength and prayers, I asked roughly 40 of our family and closest friends to fast and pray with us on Easter Sunday. That Sunday I was on the top of the world. I felt so strong an

Grandpa is Always Right | Gender Reveal |

I was hanging out in our rental apartment in Salzburg, Austria with my sister when my dad walked out of his bedroom and announced that I was having a girl. I was only 11 weeks along at that point and while I was wishfully hoping for a girl, I was preparing myself for a boy. His strong conviction of the gender of our child without any hints from an ultrasound surprised me. My dad seems to always be right about things, so I secretly hoped he was right this time too. Today during my scan, my favorite sonographer announced that we were having a girl. Grandpa is always right. I never imagined our family starting with a baby boy. I don't know why, but a baby girl seems to fit just perfectly. Now I just have to keep calm and stay healthy for 19 more weeks.