Skip to main content

I Found my Goldmine! Local Eggs and Raw Honey



 When your husband tells you that he loves the ice cream you made, and that it is the best one you have made, you know you've done a good job. Especially when the compliment was unsolicited. But I have to give the credit to the quality of ingredients I used.  After months of searching, I have finally found a source to buy pastured eggs and raw local honey from!! 


I can't believe how lucky I am. The egg lady brings me my two dozen eggs once a week for only $4 a dozen! That is cheaper than the organic factory eggs in the store. And these ones are super fresh and are fed bugs, greens, seeds, sprouts, and allowed to freely roam the yard in the spring, summer, and fall (um we live in Fairbanks. Winter foraging is not advised hehe).   They taste amazing! I love cooking them in butter with sauteed kale or shredded butternut squash, or making a quiche with them. My homemade mayo is another winner. I guess I can say we go through a lot of eggs in one week. 

The honey man makes home deliveries as well, and his raw, unfiltered honey is cheaper than in the store. Did you know raw, local honey can help alleviate seasonal allergies? It is also amazing for sore throats. Did you know it has antifungal, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and antimicrobial properties that makes it good for healing wounds and a million other uses? We like raw honey in our family, especially since the only sweeteners we use are the unprocessed kind: raw honey, grade B maple syrup, coconut sugar, or rapadura sugar. 

I guess that is why I am so happy with how my strawberry ice cream turned out.  I used three egg yolks and sweetened it with the raw honey. Yummy goodness, especially topped with banana slices and cacao nibs. If I had had hot fudge on hand, I would have topped it with that. You can find the recipe by clicking here and share in the joy of real food! 

I think pictures turn out the best when you do not plan for them. We went out to Creamer's Field after church today
and got these pictures. I love the pink and yellow hues of the winter sunset.

Comments

  1. Love it, I bet you guys almost always feel great with that kinda food in your house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do feel pretty good! It is amazing how real, nutrient dense foods can make a world of a difference.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hoping for a Rainbow

I'm really not sure if I ever thought this day would come. The day that I made it past 13 weeks pregnant without losing the baby. #miracle.  I know I am not out of the woods yet, and honestly, when are we really? I am just trying to live every day with gratitude for the life inside of me, living with hope for the future.  Part of me wanted to wait until next week, when I was past 14 weeks and officially in the 2nd trimester, but I couldn't wait any longer. I've been getting a little thick in the middle, which is getting more difficult to hide, and I feel like I haven't been able to be completely honest with friends when they would ask, "how are you doing?" All I wanted to talk about was how nauseous I was or how nervous I felt. So now, the news is out, whether or not you already suspected something was up.  Seriously though, the 1st trimester is not for the faint of heart! There were many instances when I thought I would lose the baby, but dee

I'm Pregnant! .....

...or so I thought. And you did too. Happy April Fools Day! I had been having baby dreams and feeling nauseous on and off during spring break, and I knew I would test immediately when I returned home from our road trip. The test was barely visible and I didn't believe it, so I said nothing to Marshall. That night I had a dream where the next pregnancy test I took was a solid double line. Well, two days after the first test, I got my obvious positive. I was so excited. Not knowing if it would be a good pregnancy or not, I tested again two days later and the line was darker, so I felt confident.  The past two pregnancies I miscarried at approximately 6 or 7 weeks both times, so I was pretty nervous about this one. What if it happened again? Would I be strong enough? Knowing that I needed extra strength and prayers, I asked roughly 40 of our family and closest friends to fast and pray with us on Easter Sunday. That Sunday I was on the top of the world. I felt so strong an

Grandpa is Always Right | Gender Reveal |

I was hanging out in our rental apartment in Salzburg, Austria with my sister when my dad walked out of his bedroom and announced that I was having a girl. I was only 11 weeks along at that point and while I was wishfully hoping for a girl, I was preparing myself for a boy. His strong conviction of the gender of our child without any hints from an ultrasound surprised me. My dad seems to always be right about things, so I secretly hoped he was right this time too. Today during my scan, my favorite sonographer announced that we were having a girl. Grandpa is always right. I never imagined our family starting with a baby boy. I don't know why, but a baby girl seems to fit just perfectly. Now I just have to keep calm and stay healthy for 19 more weeks.