Skip to main content

Anniversary Surprises



Celebrations are just so much fun! I have been looking forward for our anniversary for a couple of months because I really wanted to do something fun and special for my husband. We were traveling on our anniversary last year so I didn't really get a chance to do anything the day of our anniversary last year.  

I started the day by making waffles! They were made with coconut flour, banana, homemade applesauce, and eggs. Yum!! (I used a new recipe, which can be found by clicking this link).  I left for the rink before Marshall returned home from PT, so I left them in the oven staying warm for him. 

The first surprise I received was when I walked out to start my car at 6:45am and saw that all of my windows had been cleared of the freshly-fallen snow! I loved that. The smallest things are really the best. Upon returning home from my morning's activities four hours later, I saw a beautiful vase of red and yellow tulips and a note that read, 
"This has been the best two years of my Life!!!"
I loved the pop of color these added to our home!
And then I noticed something that really made me smile.  He had washed up all of the breakfast dishes! To really appreciate this, you have to realize that he does not have a lot of time when he gets home PT and when he has to get back into work. Plus, we don't have a dishwasher and I made waffles, so there were mixing bowls to wash too. I felt so very loved.  


I am such a nerd. I take pictures of food. I'm not going to apologize for it.
For our special dinner that night I made blackened shrimp and scallop fondue and served it with homemade crusty sourdough  bread. Oh man it was. to. die. for.  We also had a bottle of organic French peach sparkling juice.  A browned butter & apple cake with buttercream frosting was served for dessert.  


shrimp, scallops, mushrooms, onions, spinach, cream, cheese, and so much flavor.


In-between dinner and dessert, we gave each other our "surprises." It makes me laugh how young at heart I can be, but I love surprises.  I decorated our bedroom with 10 helium balloons, and at the end of each string there was a piece of paper where I had written a favorite memory from the previous year.  I was pleasantly surprised at how much he enjoyed reading all of them.  It was fun to read all the fun things we did together this past year! I didn't know he liked balloons so much either. It was awesome. 

Then I gave him a frame that looked like this: 


Everywhere we live together will get a little red heart. Right now we only
have one. May we have many more as the years pass!

I wasn't expecting anything else. The day had already been so great. But then he handed me the KitchenAid immersion blender which he had bought for me! Saweet! I had been wanting one, and he remembered. 

Anniversaries don't always need gifts or fancy dinners. But when the time allows, it sure does make for a special day.  If all else fails, remember this one thing. There is always time for small acts of service that show how you really feel.  Never forget to do that. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hoping for a Rainbow

I'm really not sure if I ever thought this day would come. The day that I made it past 13 weeks pregnant without losing the baby. #miracle.  I know I am not out of the woods yet, and honestly, when are we really? I am just trying to live every day with gratitude for the life inside of me, living with hope for the future.  Part of me wanted to wait until next week, when I was past 14 weeks and officially in the 2nd trimester, but I couldn't wait any longer. I've been getting a little thick in the middle, which is getting more difficult to hide, and I feel like I haven't been able to be completely honest with friends when they would ask, "how are you doing?" All I wanted to talk about was how nauseous I was or how nervous I felt. So now, the news is out, whether or not you already suspected something was up.  Seriously though, the 1st trimester is not for the faint of heart! There were many instances when I thought I would lose the baby, but dee

I'm Pregnant! .....

...or so I thought. And you did too. Happy April Fools Day! I had been having baby dreams and feeling nauseous on and off during spring break, and I knew I would test immediately when I returned home from our road trip. The test was barely visible and I didn't believe it, so I said nothing to Marshall. That night I had a dream where the next pregnancy test I took was a solid double line. Well, two days after the first test, I got my obvious positive. I was so excited. Not knowing if it would be a good pregnancy or not, I tested again two days later and the line was darker, so I felt confident.  The past two pregnancies I miscarried at approximately 6 or 7 weeks both times, so I was pretty nervous about this one. What if it happened again? Would I be strong enough? Knowing that I needed extra strength and prayers, I asked roughly 40 of our family and closest friends to fast and pray with us on Easter Sunday. That Sunday I was on the top of the world. I felt so strong an

Grandpa is Always Right | Gender Reveal |

I was hanging out in our rental apartment in Salzburg, Austria with my sister when my dad walked out of his bedroom and announced that I was having a girl. I was only 11 weeks along at that point and while I was wishfully hoping for a girl, I was preparing myself for a boy. His strong conviction of the gender of our child without any hints from an ultrasound surprised me. My dad seems to always be right about things, so I secretly hoped he was right this time too. Today during my scan, my favorite sonographer announced that we were having a girl. Grandpa is always right. I never imagined our family starting with a baby boy. I don't know why, but a baby girl seems to fit just perfectly. Now I just have to keep calm and stay healthy for 19 more weeks.