Skip to main content

Distance Makes the Heart Grow Fonder


I moved away from home when my youngest sister was 10 years old. I never really got to know her, and as I visited during the holidays, I was able to bond a little more with the girl who was growing up ever so quickly into a fine young lady. Some days I felt like I wasn't doing my job as a Big Sister because I lived across the country from her and wasn't there for many "firsts." I am glad my middle sister was there for her to be her role model.  Those two got really close, as they are only 5 years apart, and sometimes that was hard for me to see. But deep down I was grateful to have wonderful sisters who loved each other so much. I knew they hadn't forgotten about me, and we always had wonderful times together during Christmas and Summer vacations.

Loved it when she came to MO
for my college graduation!
May 2012

Now that she is nearly 16 years old, I have seen her become a beautiful young woman who is confident, talented, and smart. It is so much fun, now that she has her own phone and is old enough to understand real life, to text her and facebook her on an almost daily basis.  My sister is on a club swim team, as well as her high school Varsity swim team. Last week, my dad sent me a copy of her swim club's monthly newsletter, and she was the featured athlete of the month. I am going to use some bragging rights as a big sister, and share that article.

Kristina with her coach, Misty
December 2012

Our Kino swimmer of the month for July is Kristina Whipple. Even though she is only 15 and just about to begin her Sophomore year at Mountain View High School, she is a veteran within our senior group, as she began with us 2 years ago as part of our High School season training group. This is a lesson that consistency and work ethic pays off. Kristina has spent some time with our 13 - 14 group and the majority transitioning into the senior groups and over that time we have seen an amazing metamorphosis.

From a child who rarely answered in more than one word, we now see
an engaging young lady with more friends than you could keep track of, and she is a critical part of our group as we move forward. She has done a fantastic job with our dryland training and even owns some team training records, and has been as dedicated to that portion of our training as any athlete on our team. And it shows in her swimming, she has had some great results recently and we expect many more in the future.


Kristina has worked hard to refine her strokes and is as supportive of her teammates as any athlete I've ever worked with, she enjoys them, helps them and supports them in every way, and that is probably more important that any race result could be. We anticipate that she will be gaining her Far Western or Sectional cuts soon, maybe even during this upcoming HS season and no one will be more deserving when that happens. In sum, there truly is no one else like "The Whip" and we are lucky to have her as past of our team, and congratulations to our July swimmer of the month!
 

All I could think when I read this was, "Wow, my sister is AWESOME!" Even though we are far apart, I sure do love getting to know her more and more. I am so grateful for technology :).


 



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hoping for a Rainbow

I'm really not sure if I ever thought this day would come. The day that I made it past 13 weeks pregnant without losing the baby. #miracle.  I know I am not out of the woods yet, and honestly, when are we really? I am just trying to live every day with gratitude for the life inside of me, living with hope for the future.  Part of me wanted to wait until next week, when I was past 14 weeks and officially in the 2nd trimester, but I couldn't wait any longer. I've been getting a little thick in the middle, which is getting more difficult to hide, and I feel like I haven't been able to be completely honest with friends when they would ask, "how are you doing?" All I wanted to talk about was how nauseous I was or how nervous I felt. So now, the news is out, whether or not you already suspected something was up.  Seriously though, the 1st trimester is not for the faint of heart! There were many instances when I thought I would lose the baby, but dee

I'm Pregnant! .....

...or so I thought. And you did too. Happy April Fools Day! I had been having baby dreams and feeling nauseous on and off during spring break, and I knew I would test immediately when I returned home from our road trip. The test was barely visible and I didn't believe it, so I said nothing to Marshall. That night I had a dream where the next pregnancy test I took was a solid double line. Well, two days after the first test, I got my obvious positive. I was so excited. Not knowing if it would be a good pregnancy or not, I tested again two days later and the line was darker, so I felt confident.  The past two pregnancies I miscarried at approximately 6 or 7 weeks both times, so I was pretty nervous about this one. What if it happened again? Would I be strong enough? Knowing that I needed extra strength and prayers, I asked roughly 40 of our family and closest friends to fast and pray with us on Easter Sunday. That Sunday I was on the top of the world. I felt so strong an

Grandpa is Always Right | Gender Reveal |

I was hanging out in our rental apartment in Salzburg, Austria with my sister when my dad walked out of his bedroom and announced that I was having a girl. I was only 11 weeks along at that point and while I was wishfully hoping for a girl, I was preparing myself for a boy. His strong conviction of the gender of our child without any hints from an ultrasound surprised me. My dad seems to always be right about things, so I secretly hoped he was right this time too. Today during my scan, my favorite sonographer announced that we were having a girl. Grandpa is always right. I never imagined our family starting with a baby boy. I don't know why, but a baby girl seems to fit just perfectly. Now I just have to keep calm and stay healthy for 19 more weeks.