Skip to main content

A Successful First 10k Race

I am enjoying the Fairbanks summer while I can!
 It is definately about 70 degrees in this picture AND about 12am.
Love it.
After being in Fairbanks for a week or two, Marshall and I realized that it would be a good idea for me to work towards something. Like a race or something that would challenge me and help me feel good about myself. (But don't get the idea that I was depressed or anything, I just needed a concrete goal to focus on). I had heard about this 10k that was coming up, but I hadn't signed up for it because I was nervous about running a 10k. I love 5ks and I have done a half marathon, but I had yet to do the "in-between." Then my lovely sister told me she was doing a 10k on July 4th, so I was motivated to sign up.
I enjoyed training for this race, though I didn't have much time. I run regularly, so it wasn't too hard to push a little harder. Marshall was a great support to me. He would either run or bike next to me, and would push me to do my best. It is often difficult to run hard when it's just myself, but it makes a world of difference when someone is right there lovingly pushing me to give a little more!
Marshall had to work tonight, so I imagined him beside be during the entire run. The race was so much fun! There were SO many people, and it was nice  that there were so many people from church, so I had people to talk with before and after the race!
Going into the race I was hoping to be under 48 minutes for the 6.4 miles. That's a 7:30 minute mile pace. But as I crossed the finish line, the clock read 43:40! I was so excited to have beaten my goal by nearly 4.5 minutes!!
How did I manage to cut off so much time from my goal?
1) I imagined Marshall riding his bike next to me and telling me to stay strong and push harder.
2) have you ever seen "The Fantastic Mr. Fox?" If you have, I thought: "I am lighter than a slice of bread..."
3) there were people sitting outside on their lawns cheering us on and spraying us with water during the duration of the race. I had to look strong when I passed them, right?
4) focused on my breathing. When I heard the girl right behind me breathe really heavily, I knew I was stronger and so decided to concentrate on getting more oxygen to my muscles. It really worked!!
So even though I would have loved to have my dear husband there running with me, I am so proud of him and so grateful that he has a good job! And we will do the next race together!

Comments

  1. That is awesome! Way to go on finishing your first 10k. And with a better time than you were going for! WOO HOO!! Owen saw your picture and said, "it's nanessa!" We miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hoping for a Rainbow

I'm really not sure if I ever thought this day would come. The day that I made it past 13 weeks pregnant without losing the baby. #miracle.  I know I am not out of the woods yet, and honestly, when are we really? I am just trying to live every day with gratitude for the life inside of me, living with hope for the future.  Part of me wanted to wait until next week, when I was past 14 weeks and officially in the 2nd trimester, but I couldn't wait any longer. I've been getting a little thick in the middle, which is getting more difficult to hide, and I feel like I haven't been able to be completely honest with friends when they would ask, "how are you doing?" All I wanted to talk about was how nauseous I was or how nervous I felt. So now, the news is out, whether or not you already suspected something was up.  Seriously though, the 1st trimester is not for the faint of heart! There were many instances when I thought I would lose the baby, but dee

I'm Pregnant! .....

...or so I thought. And you did too. Happy April Fools Day! I had been having baby dreams and feeling nauseous on and off during spring break, and I knew I would test immediately when I returned home from our road trip. The test was barely visible and I didn't believe it, so I said nothing to Marshall. That night I had a dream where the next pregnancy test I took was a solid double line. Well, two days after the first test, I got my obvious positive. I was so excited. Not knowing if it would be a good pregnancy or not, I tested again two days later and the line was darker, so I felt confident.  The past two pregnancies I miscarried at approximately 6 or 7 weeks both times, so I was pretty nervous about this one. What if it happened again? Would I be strong enough? Knowing that I needed extra strength and prayers, I asked roughly 40 of our family and closest friends to fast and pray with us on Easter Sunday. That Sunday I was on the top of the world. I felt so strong an

Grandpa is Always Right | Gender Reveal |

I was hanging out in our rental apartment in Salzburg, Austria with my sister when my dad walked out of his bedroom and announced that I was having a girl. I was only 11 weeks along at that point and while I was wishfully hoping for a girl, I was preparing myself for a boy. His strong conviction of the gender of our child without any hints from an ultrasound surprised me. My dad seems to always be right about things, so I secretly hoped he was right this time too. Today during my scan, my favorite sonographer announced that we were having a girl. Grandpa is always right. I never imagined our family starting with a baby boy. I don't know why, but a baby girl seems to fit just perfectly. Now I just have to keep calm and stay healthy for 19 more weeks.