Skip to main content

A White Handkerchief

Angels exist on Earth. 

We were attending church with my in-laws this past weekend because my husband and I were in town for a wedding. There was the usual small talk, smiles, and greetings in the chapel, intermixed with the prelude from the organ before the meeting began. The two of us sat down in the front row where Marshall's mom was sitting and Grandma walked up to say hi. She wrapped her arms around Marshall first, then turned to me with a kiss on the cheek and a warm embrace. I guess Grandma could tell something was up because when she asked me how I was doing, I answered with no words, only an open floodgate of tears. 


Just as grandmas do, Grandma Adams knew exactly how to help me. With her cheek pressed against my head, she held me tight while my shoulders shook. Grandma handed me her white hankie, embroidered with a single pink rose. 
"This is for you to wipe away your tears. Remember that there will be many tears to wipe away in the future; tears of happiness and tears of sadness." 
After she said these words, she got up gently and went to sit by Grandpa. I can't pinpoint what was upsetting me that day, but I do remember what an angel from Heaven--in the form of my Grandma-- did for me. 

She gave me her love. She prayed for me. She kept the future bright and reminded me of the knowledge that I have of miracles working out in my life, albeit in the Lord's way instead of mine. She gave me her words of wisdom:

"Our prayers are not to change the Lord's mind but to change our own hearts, but sometimes the Lord is waiting for the right timing to give us the desired blessing.

Sometimes He wants the time to be long enough before the desired blessing, that there can be no question that His hand has been in the details.

Often when other trials come (as they always will), the memory of that miracle in our own life gives us the needed strength to endure."

"And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus"  Philippians 4:7 

How Grandmas are full of wisdom and truth! 

Grandma Adams didn't know that she had been an answer to a prayer I had said that very morning.  

I will be holding that rose-embroidered handkerchief close to my heart for a long time to remind me of the peace that comes through perseverance and trust in the One who is mightier than all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Pregnant! .....

...or so I thought. And you did too. Happy April Fools Day! I had been having baby dreams and feeling nauseous on and off during spring break, and I knew I would test immediately when I returned home from our road trip. The test was barely visible and I didn't believe it, so I said nothing to Marshall. That night I had a dream where the next pregnancy test I took was a solid double line. Well, two days after the first test, I got my obvious positive. I was so excited. Not knowing if it would be a good pregnancy or not, I tested again two days later and the line was darker, so I felt confident.  The past two pregnancies I miscarried at approximately 6 or 7 weeks both times, so I was pretty nervous about this one. What if it happened again? Would I be strong enough? Knowing that I needed extra strength and prayers, I asked roughly 40 of our family and closest friends to fast and pray with us on Easter Sunday. That Sunday I was on the top of the world. I felt so strong an...

Hoping for a Rainbow

I'm really not sure if I ever thought this day would come. The day that I made it past 13 weeks pregnant without losing the baby. #miracle.  I know I am not out of the woods yet, and honestly, when are we really? I am just trying to live every day with gratitude for the life inside of me, living with hope for the future.  Part of me wanted to wait until next week, when I was past 14 weeks and officially in the 2nd trimester, but I couldn't wait any longer. I've been getting a little thick in the middle, which is getting more difficult to hide, and I feel like I haven't been able to be completely honest with friends when they would ask, "how are you doing?" All I wanted to talk about was how nauseous I was or how nervous I felt. So now, the news is out, whether or not you already suspected something was up.  Seriously though, the 1st trimester is not for the faint of heart! There were many instances when I thought I would lose the baby, but dee...

Grandpa is Always Right | Gender Reveal |

I was hanging out in our rental apartment in Salzburg, Austria with my sister when my dad walked out of his bedroom and announced that I was having a girl. I was only 11 weeks along at that point and while I was wishfully hoping for a girl, I was preparing myself for a boy. His strong conviction of the gender of our child without any hints from an ultrasound surprised me. My dad seems to always be right about things, so I secretly hoped he was right this time too. Today during my scan, my favorite sonographer announced that we were having a girl. Grandpa is always right. I never imagined our family starting with a baby boy. I don't know why, but a baby girl seems to fit just perfectly. Now I just have to keep calm and stay healthy for 19 more weeks.